PDA

View Full Version : What is you guys' fave minimal WM, tiling or stacking?

TeamRocket1233c
December 29th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Hiya! I tried Awesome WM today in a Fedora VM, and it's a great WM. Would work best on a decently sized 16x9 monitor though, because of being tiling, however it's definitely my fave tiling WM so far. My fave stacking WMs are Openbox and E17, meanwhile. Anyways, what's you guys' fave tiling WM and you guys' fave stacking WM?

d-cosner
December 29th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I have always liked Fluxbox! A friend on the Mepis forum got me started with Fluxbox and it was great configuring my own system. E17, well now E18 is also a favorite. Texstar and my friends over at the PCLinuxOS forum have given me countless hours of fun with enlightenment. I love seeing old computers run like new because light window managers and desktop environments are available and they are a lot of fun to configure!

oldos2er
December 29th, 2013, 07:29 PM
i3, which for some unfathomable reason is not on your list!

GSF1200S
March 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM
i3, which for some unfathomable reason is not on your list!

For tiling, I chose Awesome, but i3 is up there as well. Awesome is probably my favorite tiler because it has a right click menu and can have titlebars with buttons. i3 is definitely the best at handling a stupid amount of windows on one workspace due to its tree style tiling. Being manual and having containers, tabs, stacks, etc, it is infinitely configurable. Combine that with a simple config and only needing to know maybe 6-10 keybinds to control it, and its pretty incredible.

Despite my desire to go tiling, I am hopelessly addicted to Openbox + Pytyle2. I have tried to setup Awesome or i3 to my liking, but I really only think they make sense when you use applications that are heavily based on the keyboard.

GUI based applications require less memorizing of the user, but consume screen space to provide function. This is fine with a stacker since windows can overlap, but a disastor with a tiler unless you have a really big screen. Further, tiling window managers are heavily keyboard driven while GUI apps are heavily mouse driven (usually). This leads to the user constantly switching back and forth between the mouse and keyboard. Further still, GUI apps dont respond as well in most cases to the arbitrary resizing done by a tiler, where a stacker is better suited to pick the proper size for the GUI.

And this leads me to Openbox. Probably not as configurable as fvwm, but certainly more configurable than anything else, yet easy to use. It has semi-manual tiling built in (grow-to-edge, move-to-edge). Because of standards compliance, it also works perfect with pytyle2, wmctrl, xdotool, skippy-xd, etc. Combine the rc.xml with bash and these tools, and its hard to beat. Pytyle2 makes running vim, some terms for compiling, etc a piece of cake.

In my opinion: if you primarily use GUI apps, use a stacker. If you use console apps, use a tiler. Ultimately you will be most productive with a tiler, while a stacker will require the least muscle-memory and memorization. Im torn. Id like to see this thread get more responses and opinions.

Lars Noodén
March 14th, 2014, 08:35 AM
I used to use FVWM at work and still like it for some activities.

su:bhatta
March 14th, 2014, 08:38 AM
FVWM here too ! :)
It is great when I start up all the audio applications in my Studio set-up !

lykwydchykyn
March 14th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Awesome FTW!! I like hacking my rc.lua when I'm bored.

Frogs Hair
March 14th, 2014, 03:39 PM
E17 has a tiling module and mode once the module is enabled .

angry_johnnie
March 15th, 2014, 03:34 AM
Xmonad was the first tiling wm i ever used, and the only one i ever got to know well enough to feel comfortable. I've tried awesome every now and then but it's never impressed me much. Fluxbox was the first linux wm i used, and it holds a special place for that reason. E17 is weird. :P Openbox is too barebones. I didn't even know ratpoison was a tiling wm... I thought it opened everything in full screen... like metro... :o

metnix
March 21st, 2014, 09:04 AM
Awesome, maybe only because of all that work I put in to the config, but it surely is awesome. The fact that I haven't put any effort into learning any of the other options might be worth noting...

TheFu
March 23rd, 2014, 12:00 AM
fvwm - everything else seems bloated.