PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Offline Update Help

moo9801
December 28th, 2013, 01:37 AM
I am currently trying to update about 25 Xubuntu desktops. Normally this wouldn't be a huge issue, however the building these are located in still has Dial-up speed internet (1.28/1.41 mbps), so I cannot just update these like normal (unless I want it to take a few months to update, which is obviously not feasible). These computers are all completely identical software-wise (Xubuntu 12.04), they are locked with Ofris and are used as student computers. They are all connected to the internet.

Is there a way for me to download the updates once, and then have all the computers use the previously downloaded updates to update? I can always download at home (Fast internet) then bring them here. If you need any more info on anything, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Strange thought: can one create a local update server that gets all the updates, then stores them so all the computers can just grab them locally versus connecting to the internet update servers?

moo9801
December 28th, 2013, 01:40 AM
* this is similar to what I have in mind: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Network_Caching_Technologies