PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] can't select external TV speakers for audio output

Bhakti108
December 27th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Just upgraded to 13.10 and the only sound I can get is from my internal laptop speakers. I am connected to my TEAC TV which is my monitor, and there is no way in sound settings to select the TV's speakers. I think I had this same issue ion 13.04 but cannot remember what I did to rectify it.

Sound is perfect on the internal speakers. What do I do to get an "external speaker" option to show under the "Play sound through" selection box. connection is via vga chord not hdmi

Thank you

efflandt
December 27th, 2013, 07:33 AM
HDMI would handle video and audio, but VGA only handles video. So you would need a cord going from the headphone jack of the laptop to whatever audio input the TV has for VGA (PC). Depending upon the TV that might either be a cable with 3.5 mm stereo plugs on both ends or a Y-cable with 3.5 mm stereo plug on one end and red/white RCA jacks on other end. If you already have a separate audio cable I am not sure what you would need to do if sound does not automatically go to the headphone jack when something is plugged into that.

Bhakti108
December 28th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Doh! Thanks I feel a bit silly. I didn't even consider that. My HDMI cable got damaged and I just swapped to the vga a day before I did the upgrade, totally not thinking about sound.

easy fix thanks a lot. Sound working good now,