PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Windows 8.1 partition mounting problems

adityashah30
December 26th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Hi guys,
I recently installed windows 8.1 along with ubuntu 12.04.3 lts. I do know about the fast boot in windows and subsequent mounting issues in ubuntu, so i disabled the fast boot in windows and turned off hibernation there. I have an entry for that partition in my fstab file. The problem is that even now, while booting, the windows partition is unable to mount to boot, and i have to skip it mounting there. Although, once i have booted and logged into ubuntu, i can mount the partition simply by clikcing it through nautilus. Any idea as to how can i avoid this problem and mount the partition at boot itself?

Thanks

fantab
December 26th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Is there a SSD in the picture?
From Terminal run:

sudo blkid
The output will show the UUID of your partitions. Now compare the UUID of the windows partition from the above output with the UUID listed in the /etc/fstab against the said partition.
If they don't match then replace the UUID in /etc/fstab with the one from the output.

If the problem persists, then download and install Boot-Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair), 'create a Bootinfo Summary' and post the LINK it creates here.

adityashah30
December 27th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Thanks a lot! I forgot that UUID would change. This worked.