PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Beta, what do you think about the spell checker

Derek Djons
July 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM
A few days ago I installed Mozilla Firefox 2.0 Beta 1 on my system. I'm very pleased with the spell checker. Though I know enough English to write down a report or have a conversation with somebody it does not means I always write the words down correctly.

As far it concerns me, I'm very happy with this feature.

swamytk
July 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Yes, I am typing from Firefox 2.0 beta only. It *works* fine. But I don't find any big reason to have spell checker in a browser, where mostly user reads the data. My wish is Firefox should not get bloated!

BTW: What about the possibility of using MS-Office dictionary using some extension in firefox?

Derek Djons
July 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Yes, I am typing from Firefox 2.0 beta only. It *works* fine. But I don't find any big reason to have spell checker in a browser, where mostly user reads the data. My wish is Firefox should not get bloated!

BTW: What about the possibility of using MS-Office dictionary using some extension in firefox?

I understand your point. If this spell checker would a feature of Opera it would have been more logical since Firefox is the small and fast browser.

What kind of pros would the MS dictionary have compared to this one right now?

FISHERMAN
July 20th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Since Spellbound (http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/) is one of my favorite extensions, I love the build-in spellchecker.

swamytk
July 20th, 2006, 11:12 AM
What kind of pros would the MS dictionary have compared to this one right now?

1. centralized dictionary - adding a word in dict of ms-office will reflect in firefox also and vice-versa
2. more languages support since ms-office has already
3. footprint of firefox will be less

note: this can be applied to aspell in linux also

Randomskk
July 20th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I use Konqueror, it had a built in spellchecker even in breezy =D

Still, I like how I can use the same functionality on Windows now. Pity they don't port KDE to windows :(

Derek Djons
July 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I use Konqueror, it had a built in spellchecker even in breezy =D

Still, I like how I can use the same functionality on Windows now. Pity they don't port KDE to windows :(

Some time ago I know I heard some news about KDE being ported to Windows. I've hit Google and it came up with some interesting links. One of them is this one:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=507276

swamytk
July 20th, 2006, 12:08 PM
hei.. what is this? :-( FF 2.0 spell checks even its own address field? I don't thing this is appropriate.

Footissimo
July 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Oblig:

I'm usig it now - it werks realy well! :)

Christmas
July 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Where can I download it from?

Derek Djons
July 20th, 2006, 01:35 PM
hei.. what is this? :-( FF 2.0 spell checks even its own address field? I don't thing this is appropriate.

Now that's the most stupid feature ever :) Spell checking the address field. ](*,)

bruce89
July 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM
The Gnome developers are doing their own one for Epiphany - http://blogs.gnome.org/view/epiphany/2006/06/25/0. They say the Firefox one is rubbish.

Derek Djons
July 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Where can I download it from?

http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/07/12/firefox-2-beta-1-milestone-released/
To test it without installing it on your system do the following (in a terminal):

sudo tar -xzvf <packagename>
cd firefox
sudo ./firefox

It will launch firefox but when you desire to get rid of it you can simply throw away the folder and use the normal Firefox icon in the Applications menu.

Christmas
July 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2006/07/12/firefox-2-beta-1-milestone-released/
To test it without installing it on your system do the following (in a terminal):

sudo tar -xzvf <packagename>
cd firefox
sudo ./firefox

It will launch firefox but when you desire to get rid of it you can simply throw away the folder and use the normal Firefox icon in the Applications menu.
Thanks I'm gonna try it right now.

Christmas
July 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I think the Spell Checker is a great feature. I missed it from Konqueror, it's very helpful for non-english speakers and a great tool to learn and correct yourself.

chickengirl
July 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I, for one, welcome new features in Firefox.

dada1958
September 21st, 2006, 06:02 PM
Option 4: I would love it but unfortunately it doesn't work here :confused:

missmoondog
September 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
i voted honestly instead of going by what i think of firefox! don't really have that option anyway, but i could've said no-please explain!

not installed. not ever used either!

Paul41
September 22nd, 2006, 01:03 AM
I am an absolutely horrible speller so I love it.

slimdog360
September 22nd, 2006, 01:28 AM
I thunk its a geart excention and its vrey vrey goood.

Abild
September 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
I cant find any spell checker... Is it only enabled in the english version of firefox?

tseliot
September 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Yes, I am typing from Firefox 2.0 beta only. It *works* fine. But I don't find any big reason to have spell checker in a browser, where mostly user reads the data.
If you post a message on the forum you might need it to avoid typos.

megamania
September 22nd, 2006, 09:32 AM
I thunk its a geart excention and its vrey vrey goood.
nad I see your' usnig it arleady. ;-)

Colonel Kilkenny
September 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
I understand your point. If this spell checker would a feature of Opera it would have been more logical since Firefox is the small and fast browser.

Sorry for quoting an old message but I just wanted to say that Opera has had spellchecker since 7.5preview-times.

Opera detects automatically whether user has Aspell and uses it if it is installed. Is this the way Firefox does it as well?
If it's done that way, it is very nice solution and does not "bloat" browser at all (compared to the help that the feature gives), but if they embedded somehow another spell checker I'm not so sure if I like it. If user wants to use spell checker in their system, they surely will install Aspell and then browser is just part of the system and should offer Aspell-functions.

dada1958
September 22nd, 2006, 01:07 PM
I cant find any spell checker... Is it only enabled in the english version of firefox?
It wasn't working in the Dutch version, it's still a beta, so I tried the English version and now I'm enjoying it very much, I'm going to love this browser:D

kalle314
October 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
I unchecked this feature - it is rather annoying when FF tries to correct correctly written swedish and french with a english dictionary. I'll wait until it can spellcheck against multiple dictionaries at the same time.