PDA

View Full Version : 2tb drive

deanie44
December 23rd, 2013, 03:24 AM
hi everyone. I would like to install Mythbuntu 12.04.3 on a 2TB hard drive. In fact I did install it on the hard drive ,but my machine continue to reboot. The bootloader did not install correctly. For many hours I have read posts and articles pertaining to GPT and I still do not understand the concept. My system has BIOS not UEFI. Does anyone understand how to use GPT and to install Mythbuntu on a 2TB hard drive? Any help will be appreciated,

ubfan1
December 23rd, 2013, 06:17 AM
Not speaking from direct experience, but it seems for a legacy boot off a gpt drive, you will need a partition (1M labeled grub-bios, unformatted) for the bootloader which no longer fits just after the master boot block, you could put a 300M partition for future EFI compatibility(fat32 but if not used, no need to format), then I'd suggest putting your boot partition (300 M should be sufficient, ext4), then the rest -- say 25G for root (/ ext4) and a big data partition for the movies. Having the boot code far down into a 2T disk may badly confuse the BIOS.

fantab
December 23rd, 2013, 07:27 AM
Yes, to BIOS boot ubuntu/linux from GPT disk you need about 10Mb Unformatted partition, with a 'bios-grub' flag, preferably this should be the first partition.
It is a good idea to create a separate partition, as ubfan1 suggests, of about 300-500Mb (No need to format it now) for future EFI use.

Q: are you sure you have GPT on that HDD?
If you are not sure check with:

sudo parted -l
using Live Ubuntu DVD/USB.