PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Server Upgrade fails due to LVM missalignment

Cavaseul
December 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
I have a small intel atom server running ubuntu server 11.10. Upon installation I allocated the entire disk (2TB) to LVM using the standard partitioning scheme (boot, swap, root, data). So far so good. Unfortunately I can't upgrade to any recent versions because newer versions of Grub don't fit in the disk space that precedes the LVM. This has been documented in long and broad. I have made several attempts to upgrade but each of them failed and leave met with a none working grub although the rest seems to be fine. After reinstalling the original system everything is working again as it was.

So my question remains: How can I move the entire LVM up a couple of sectors to make more space for grub or how can I upgrade the entire the system without upgrading grub, which is what's causing the problem.

Anyone?

Merry Christmas.

Cavaseul
January 1st, 2014, 01:23 PM
The solution is so simple that I am almost shameful of having asked the question in the first place.
Booted my server using the latest Gparted live cd and shrank the lvm by a couple of MB whilst moving the whole thing towards the end of the disk. Problem solved. Grub2 installs without a glitch. B)