PDA

View Full Version : More Press...

mark
March 25th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Took a quick look here and didn't see any reference to this article in PC World: Free Agent: Mo' Beta Builds (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120116,00.asp). Matthew Newton, their FOSS columnist, starts out with OO.o 2.0 and wraps up with a pretty good quick look at Hoary.

Mark

poofyhairguy
March 25th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Took a quick look here and didn't see any reference to this article in PC World: Free Agent: Mo' Beta Builds (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120116,00.asp). Matthew Newton, their FOSS columnist, starts out with OO.o 2.0 and wraps up with a pretty good quick look at Hoary.

Mark

Best quote:

"After spending time with Ubuntu's Administration tools, I never want to see the Mandrake Control Center again."

dolson
March 25th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Best quote:

"After spending time with Ubuntu's Administration tools, I never want to see the Mandrake Control Center again."

Heh. I didn't miss that at all when I left Mandrake for Debian. I had issues with the MCC actually working properly a lot of the time, especially that overly-confusing network section. And why bother breaking apart the software manager into multiple, separate sections? *shudder* I don't miss that crap one bit. :)

And yeah, Ubuntu does organize things nicely. I think a font installer is needed though - for newbies. How many of them know how to install new fonts? I think a right-click > Install Font menu option would be cool. Or integrate it into the Gnome Font Viewer, just a Install button that simply copies over the font file. The button could be hidden if the file path is already in the installed directory, of course. Ah well, just an idea.

TravisNewman
March 25th, 2005, 06:05 AM
And the weird thing-- I didn't think Ubuntu HAD Administration tools. I think they're gnome system tools. Except for the Update Manager. Could be wrong though, I don't keep up with Gnome well.

poofyhairguy
March 25th, 2005, 07:34 AM
And the weird thing-- I didn't think Ubuntu HAD Administration tools. I think they're gnome system tools. Except for the Update Manager. Could be wrong though, I don't keep up with Gnome well.

The thing is that Mandrake's tools are so buggy (in my opinion) that the default Gnome tools are better.

dolson
March 25th, 2005, 09:30 AM
The thing is that Mandrake's tools are so buggy (in my opinion) that the default Gnome tools are better.

I agree, but back when I used Mandrake, to be fair, those tools either didn't exist or they were in their infancy, and not yet really usable. They've come a long way though, and I like them. I do think that Ubuntu added a few things of their own though, aside from the update manager, but I could be wrong. I'm not a big fan of the update manager. I like the functionality that notifies when updates are available though. Apt-watch always had issues for me on Debian (and on Warty too).