PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System disk damaged

DaveK6
December 20th, 2013, 07:05 PM
My server crashed due to hard disk errors. While the disk is still partially readable when mounted in a docking station, it is no longer usable.

The problem is when I try and reinstall Ubuntu Server 12.04 onto a new disk and then restore backups of data and some configuration files via BackupPC I have discovered that the numeric ownerships no longer match thus generating access issues galore.This problem may be due to the fact that the server was initially 8.04, then upgraded to 10.4 and finally 12.4; the new server was a fresh install with users and groups being created in a different order and metapackages being installed in a different order, thus generating different numeric IDs.

While I don't have a complete backup of the system disk, I do have /etc and /home on the backup and access to much of the old system when the bad disk is mounted in a docking station.

Any suggestions for how to get the server up and running quickly and recover files properly?
TIA,
Dave

tfrue
December 21st, 2013, 07:05 AM
I would run 'fsck' on the old drive to check for errors, and possible re-install 12.04 on the new disk, and don't overwrite and configuration files from 8.04 to 12.04. I don't think you will need any of the files off the /etc directory, but maybe the /home directories if you saved any files that are user specific there that won't change the config files of the new server.

DaveK6
December 21st, 2013, 10:17 PM
I did the fsck and the error count continues to grow...

How can I have configuration files on the new (empty) disk BEFORE reinstalling 12.04?

ubfan1
December 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM
Try to copy the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files off the damaged disk. Those contain the user/group ids assigned on the old system. You can manually make the new system match them to avoid some problems in the restore.

tfrue
December 22nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
I was lead to believe that you were copying the files from an older installation to the newer one and that is why you were getting ownership errors and possibly other errors,
The problem is when I try and reinstall Ubuntu Server 12.04 onto a new disk and then restore backups of data and some configuration files via BackupPC I have discovered that the numeric ownerships no longer match thus generating access issues galore.This problem may be due to the fact that the server was initially 8.04, then upgraded to 10.4 and finally 12.4; the new server was a fresh install with users and groups being created in a different order and metapackages being installed in a different order, thus generating different numeric IDs. Then I'm unsure of what you're trying to do.

Chris

DaveK6
December 22nd, 2013, 09:31 PM
I have an existing 12.04 system on a damaged disk that had been upgraded in place from 8.04 to 10.04 to 12.04, backups on a removable disk, data files on a separate LVM array, and a brand new disk that I did a virgin install of 12.04. When doing the virgin install I selected several metapackages (Mail server, Database server, etc.) that created users and groups. After the installation I then added backuppc which likely ended up with a different numeric user ID and led to ownership issues.

Based on other suggestions I'm likely going to try and install the most basic server possible, recover /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow from the damaged drive, next manually try and add the various metapackages and then - hopefully - be able to reinstall anything else from the backups.

Dave

I was lead to believe that you were copying the files from an older installation to the newer one and that is why you were getting ownership errors and possibly other errors, Then I'm unsure of what you're trying to do.

Chris

tfrue
December 22nd, 2013, 11:47 PM
Good luck! Hope all goes well.

Chris