PDA

View Full Version : Not detecting NIC Card ...

ntrovato
December 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Installing Ubuntu v10.04 on a Dell PowerEdge R420 and it is not detecting the built-in Broadcom NetXtreme Network Cards for some reason. Running ifconfig - I'm only seeing the Local Loopback interface. Running LSHW does show the Broadcom devices however. How do I go about installing the necessary drivers to get the NIC interfaces up and running?

tfrue
December 18th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Here is a link to the Broadcom driver page with a README.txt for installation:http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

Try something like:

lspci | grep Broadcom or simply

lspci #for a more general view
to see if your computer has detected the hardware.

If you did find Broadcom Hardware, then check out this site. It may have the appropriate help for you:http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Good luck.

tfrue
December 18th, 2013, 10:37 PM
You don't have to have the drivers from the first page that I linked to do the "lspci" command

ntrovato
December 18th, 2013, 10:50 PM
So my PCI-ID shows up as 14e4:165f ... this does not show up on the chart at the link you sent me. Does that mean I'm outta luck with this card? BTW - the
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer command returns "E: Couldn't find package firmware-b43-installer".

fantab
December 19th, 2013, 04:00 AM
Installing Ubuntu v10.04 on a Dell PowerEdge R420 and it is not detecting the built-in Broadcom NetXtreme Network Cards for some reason. Running ifconfig - I'm only seeing the Local Loopback interface. Running LSHW does show the Broadcom devices however. How do I go about installing the necessary drivers to get the NIC interfaces up and running?

Ubuntu 10.04 is NOT supported anymore, it has reached its end of support. It is NOT maintained anymore.
I'd suggest that you install the latest supported version of Ubuntu, ie either 12.04 or 13.10.
That should take care of your problem.

ntrovato
December 19th, 2013, 04:53 PM
v12.04 detected the NIC card just fine ... Thanks!!