PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 or 13.10

sheenzhaox
December 16th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for quite a while. Yesterday, I decided to move to 13.10.

First, I use
sudo do-release-upgrade to upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10.
Everything was fine, successfully reboot in 12.10.

After all necessary upgrade in 12.10, I tried to upgrade to next version in 12.10.
I tried same thing by using
sudo do-release-upgrade, however I've got the following error message

sudo do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
Get:1 Upgrade tool signature [198 B]
Get:2 Upgrade tool [1,135 kB]
Fetched 1,135 kB in 0s (0 B/s)
authenticate 'saucy.tar.gz' against 'saucy.tar.gz.gpg'
extracting 'saucy.tar.gz'

Reading cache

Checking package manager

Cannot upgrade

An upgrade from 'quantal' to 'saucy' is not supported with this tool.

I also tried on GUI
sudo upgrade-manager -d, and I got the similar error message.

Can anyone help me solve the problem? Thanks.

michael.thomas
December 22nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I've exactly the same problem. It seems that the update manager is skipping the necessary 13.04 upgrade.

I will try to upgrade with the ISO Image of 13.04. Perhaps this will work.

Best
Mic

grahammechanical
December 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
If I remember correctly, Saucy Salamander was the code name for Ubuntu 13.10. At the moment I am using Trusty Tahr (14.04). So, I think that the issue here is that for some reason the upgrade process has tried to upgrade from 12.10 to 13.10, which it cannot do. Just a hint in a possible direction is the best that I can give.

Have you tried going into System Settings>Software Sources>Updates and making sure that Update Manager is set to notify you of any new version of Ubuntu? It might still be set for LTS versions.

I ask because Update Manager should notify us that there is a newer version and all we need to do is click a button. Please note that from 13.04 onwards the name Software Sources has changed to Software and Updates. Are you sure that 12.10 is fully updated? You may need a new update manager core package. Try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That last command does not upgrade to the next version of Ubuntu. It upgrades the existing version in using smart conflict resolution. You might also want to do

sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
sudo do-release-upgrade

do-release-upgrade is meant for server systems. I would suggest that for desktop systems using Update Manager to notify us of the next version available is the better course. It takes the geekiness out of using Ubuntu.

Regards.