PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is Ubuntu ready for QHD+ (e.g., 3200x1800)?

ijhm86
December 16th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I am about to purchase a new laptop. I am deciding between the likes of an ASUS Zenbook UX301 and a Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus. The thing is that they both come with amazing ultra high resolution displays. The ASUS with a 2560x1440 display and the Samsung with an even better 3200x1800.

I now there are some scaling issues with Win8 but I am going to use Ubuntu so my question is whether Ubuntu is in fact ready for such displays.

Anybody there with a UX301 or a AB9+?

Thanks in advance!

grahammechanical
December 16th, 2013, 03:26 PM
What graphic adapters do those machines use? And do the makers of those graphic adapters provide proprietary video drivers for Linux? So, the question is not "is Ubuntu ready for QHD?" And it isn't even, "is Linux ready for QHD?" But are there Linux video drivers available?

Regards.

ijhm86
December 16th, 2013, 09:55 PM
OK, then.

"Are there linux video drivers available?"

Because I have no clue.

ijhm86
December 16th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Also, would a touchscreen work properly with Ubuntu? Is it supported in the latest version?

raptir
December 16th, 2013, 11:26 PM
What graphic adapters do those machines use? And do the makers of those graphic adapters provide proprietary video drivers for Linux? So, the question is not "is Ubuntu ready for QHD?" And it isn't even, "is Linux ready for QHD?" But are there Linux video drivers available?

Regards.

Both of those laptops use Intel integrated graphics, so the graphics drivers should not be an issue. I think the bigger question would be "how well does Ubuntu handle display scaling?" since the laptops are running those high resolutions on 13.3" displays that require display scaling to make them usable.

Edit: And I don't really know the answer to how well Ubuntu handles display scaling.

Touchscreens should work fine, and there are even some touchscreen gestures supported in Unity out of the box.

ijhm86
December 17th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Both of those laptops use Intel integrated graphics, so the graphics drivers should not be an issue. I think the bigger question would be "how well does Ubuntu handle display scaling?" since the laptops are running those high resolutions on 13.3" displays that require display scaling to make them usable.

Edit: And I don't really know the answer to how well Ubuntu handles display scaling.

Touchscreens should work fine, and there are even some touchscreen gestures supported in Unity out of the box.

Precisely my point. I am glad touchscreen works fine with Unity. Now let's see if somebody knows about scaling in Ubuntu. Thanks for your reply though!