PDA

View Full Version : Share your Linux journey .........

linuxyogi
December 15th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Why I started Linux ?

Back in 2003 I was visiting the local cyber cafe a lot for random surfing so I decided to assemble a PC for myself. One thing that I didn't want was to use a pirated copy of Windows. Windows in our country costs in thousands of rupees which is why most people end up using a pirated copy.

First distribution

The first distro that I tried was Fedora. I don't remember which release. The DVD came free with a tech magazine. Believe it or not at that point I used install applications from the DVD only and not from the repos. The reason was I had a limited broadband connection. I used to skip the updates even !!! Now I realize how wrong I was.

Anyways the next release of Fedora completely barred users from installing packages from the installation media so I thought lets explore some other distros.

Ubuntu Hardy

I obtained Ubuntu the same way. After installing I found that packages like mplayer, vlc are not there on the CD. So I finally called my ISP and upgraded to an unlimited plan. That was it ! All I needed was the synaptic package manager.

I used Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, then I tried some other distros like openSUSE, Debian, Arch, PCLINUXOS, PCBSD, etc.

Then I started using Ubuntu again with 12.04 and now 13.04.

Still learning

My learning process is a bit different. I dont learn about Linux because I need to not because I want to. For example, every time I face an issue I Google about it first if I dont find I solution I write here. This has beed my learning process.

But the flaw with this system of learning is that you know solution to only those problems which you have faced as an user.

Please share your story.

Swagman
December 15th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Well, My (Linux) Journey began a long ago (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=998632)

pizzalover1974
December 16th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Tried back in the 90's a distro of Redhat hat Linux back in the old days..when it was a patial desktop Gui and terminal based...Unistalled as I simply wasnt in the mood for terminal stuff, but liked the look of it.

Then used a distro of Fedora when Redhat seemed to be discontinued for normal users. Again it was for the looks.

Then switched to SUSE..Which was the first proper distro for me in a dual boot with Win XP back in 2002..I worked great for browsing with my Amd 1.2 GHz Athlon PC and my 150 KB cable connection back then.

Still stuck with SUSE and also used Knoppix as well....But even in 2008 WiFi dongle support was still in early stages.

Then a few months later I tried Ubuntu which worked straight away with WiFi dongle I had.

Finally Linux felt like it was coming of age. Not just for geeks and tech heads.

Tried the recent Ubuntu win installer with Wubi 3 months ago..but the partion was too small..Crapped it up so I tried Puppy Linux, but it was too limited for me.

I knew Steam works in Ubuntu..and thats what I had been waiting for for so long.

I finally decided that I had enough of my unstable Win 7 install (it was 2 years old and crumbling).. After a ATI Overclocking utility killed my Win 7 Gui and wouldnt boot up. I deciced enough was enough...I wiped the Win 7 partion (couldnt access my files to save them). Fresh Reinstalled Win 7 from scratch and did a Proper Dual Boot install of Ubuntu.

Splitting my HDD Partion into 1 TB Win 7 and 800GB Ubuntu. I wanted a big partion for my Ubuntu install for linux games and internet files. Wubi window installer I find, just makes far too small a max Partion size, so I did a proper install instead.

I am a casual Linux user and been waiting a long time for a real alternative to Windows that was totally reliable and also non tech head friendly. Seems that Linux has got there at last.

germanix
December 16th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I got realy fed up with Windows in 2008. Installed Ubuntu 8.04 as sole OS and never looked back. Now running Ubuntu 13.10 at home and Xubuntu 12.04 at work. Tried and liked Mint and OpenSuse. Linux is a great OS and this is a great Forum. I am a happy linux user.

Mark de J
December 16th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Because a mate told me about it, he told me Windows sucks, get Linux and now I have it, and I like it.

spencer the great
December 18th, 2013, 03:36 AM
A few years back, when I was still mostly computer-illiterate beyond the fact that there WAS a CPU, RAM, Motherboard, etc., and was still using Windows 2000/Windows XP, I got fed up with the fact that when an error appeared, it was impossible to fix. In addition, I had heard a likely misleading rumor that UNIX/Linux was virus-proof. Huh.
Anyway, by that time, I started punching in random terms in Google (not knowing what a distro was: Linux. How to download Linux. that kind of stuff). Eventually, I came across Ubuntu 9.10.
I began the installation process with that. Unfortunately, I couldn't boot into the disk for whatever reason, so I ended up installing it with WUBI. Of course, that would cause it to be a bit slower on my already-slow computer, but I didn't care. Finally, surviving through several errors, I finally introduced linux to my computer (and to myself).

Eventually, although Ubuntu was a lot better than Windows, I decided that it came with a lot of stuff that I didn't want (i.e. keyrings, automatic updates/notifications, etc). In spite of all the beautiful things about Ubuntu, I eventually left to try out some other distros. Mint was a disaster. Debian was... I don't know, just didn't feel right for me. I was too n00b for slackware. I then stumbled upon Arch. Arch was great in the fact that you didn't have to install a keyring if you didn't want to. I didn't even install a graphical login manager. After that, I started learning about some of the awesome tools available in GNU/Linux: awk (no, I didn't get there yet), grep, sed, tr, ... .... I took a college course in Unix/Linux during this time, but I dropped out of it when I looked at the syllabus and saw that I wouldn't be learning awk, I would be learning basic shell scripting and regexes. After that, I eventually got bored of Arch and tried to install Slack. Due to my awesomely convenient wizard-like powers, something in my computer suddenly decided to become incompatible with LILO and I decided to try to build a Linux from Scratch. That, of course, is failing, due to my n00b-ness and my awesomely convenient wizard-like powers. That would be my next goal... but for now, I turned into a spoiled lazy procrastinator and switched back to windows/archlinux dualboot to play video games. Which is the end of my linux journey in a nutshell.

Linuxratty
December 19th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Ten years ago I was becoming more and more annoyed with Windows and started looking at Macs..By chance,I stumbled across the Microsoft VS Lindows (later to be Linspire) pissing contest and wondered what it was about...I became intrigued and started reading up on Linux...I bought the Linspire disk,ran it for three days. Fell in love with KDE 3.0 and installed it over XP..Then when Linspire got too chummy with Microsoft,I moved to the now dead Klikit..What a mess that was! I had to reinstall it nine times it was so buggy..I finally gave up and distro hopped to Fedora, then Mepis and a KDE distro a then friend created. I finally moved to feisty and then on to 10,10 and finally,where I am today.

DuckHook
December 20th, 2013, 10:52 PM
My first exposure to Linux was early on. If I recall correctly, it was Red Hat 4.0 in 1997. It came on a CD with a book the title of which I don't even remember. I was motivated to try Linux because I had grown increasingly disenchanted by Microsoft's atrocious conduct against Netscape. Did I say disenchanted? I was outraged. I saw MS's conduct as predatory and I couldn't stand the thought of my money further padding the pockets of an amoral outfit that would systematically leverage their monopoly to strangle uppity upstarts.

Wrote a wordy piece about my early experiences on another thread about this time last year. Just looked it up and no point repeating myself. For anyone interested, it's this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090910&p=12388803#post12388803) one.

mips
December 21st, 2013, 12:06 AM
First time I used Linux was in 1992 when you had to download 1.44MB floppy disk images via FTP but prior to this I had an AIX UNIX account on a RS/6000 IBM box which was considered state of the art in those days.

In 2004 I went to some IT thing where mark shuttleworth was punting ubuntu and got some free cd's. Never really bothered installing them until 2005. After this I used Ubuntu for a few years, Dapper Drake 6.06 was still the best release ever but when Unity came out I shunned it like the plague. I don't think I will ever use Ubuntu in my lifetime again. I just don't buy into their philosophy. First you get Unity, then you get MIR which will only be used in Ubuntu and not in the derivatives and then you hear about Canonical's legal department sending notices to the likes of Linux Mint etc.

I'm sorry but it's come full circle for me, the distro you use to adore is now prime evil if I could put it that way. Ubuntu has a terrible reputation in the linux/oss community of late. They've become pretty arrogant if you ask me.

frankmorris2
December 21st, 2013, 02:57 AM
My first experience with Linux was with the Ubuntu 5.04 LiveCD. I didn't like it much, it was ugly (the "brown" theme) and the LiveCD performance was not helping. I was still sold to Windows, but I kept checking back every Ubuntu version. Finally, I installed Mepis (KDE + Ubuntu 6.06) on my laptop at the time. Now I was sold.

I still install a dual boot with Windows, but its more like a backup plan, in case the software really only works on Windows.

Today, I even have a job working with Ubuntu Server :-)

You can say I am now converted to Linux, mainly the Debian family.

DuckHook
December 21st, 2013, 03:36 AM
...the distro you use to adore is now prime evil if I could put it that way. Ubuntu has a terrible reputation in the linux/oss community of late. They've become pretty arrogant if you ask me.Aren't you going a bit far there? They haven't strangled any babies; engaged in any FUD campaigns; sold any vapourware, crippleware, or extortionware; held any figurative guns to their captive users' heads; or worshipped at the pit of Evil. They don't turn out gawdawful crap more full of holes than Swiss cheese and then tell users that it's on their own further dime to fill said holes. Have they stumbled? Yes. Do they bear scrutiny? As much as any component of freedom requires vigilance. But I've always felt the vitriolic reaction to their stumbles to be gross and unfair overreactions. Compared to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Ubuntu is still but a slightly tarnished saint. Canonical hasn't sold out close to the extent that openSUSE did, and I consider openSUSE still a legitimate part of the Linux ecosystem. Heck, even Google is a legitimate part of that ecosystem, and they are far more tainted than even openSUSE. Sometimes, in our frenzied and fanatical pursuit of absolute ideological purity, we lose our sense of proportion.

If we set the hyperbole aside, I think you make a good point and Canonical bears scrutiny. I can't feel remotely as strongly about Ubuntu as I do about the Unnamed One, but I agree that Canonical is starting to show worrying signs. It's a good idea for Ubuntu users to keep their options open and be comfortable with other Distros—but then, this is just good advice in general.

The OP started this thread about the Linux journey. Well, I've got an observation about the future: Besides Ubuntu, I don't see anyone else out there trying to port a full-fledged distro to the devices of the future: I'm talking about phones and tablets. As arrogant as Canonical may sometimes seem, they're the only ones willing to put their money where their mouth is and finance Linux's leap into the handheld-space. We users certainly aren't, are we? We pay nothing for this distro. Most haven't financed a penny of this effort, but we sure belly-ache about Canonical a lot—and it seems the longer the facial hair, the louder the belly-aching.

QIII
December 21st, 2013, 03:40 AM
I'm glad I trim my (grey) beard, I guess.

DuckHook
December 21st, 2013, 04:56 AM
hmmm... Going by your Avatar, you do look a bit like him. Naw. RMS moderating an Ubuntu forum helping out new Ubuntu converts? What am I thinking?

mamamia88
December 23rd, 2013, 10:58 PM
I started with linux back with Ubuntu 8.10 after a friend wouldn't stop bragging about his mac. I couldn't afford a mac and didn't really care for vista so I thought I'd give it a chance. Well after playing around with compiz for quite some time and tweaking it to my workflow I was hooked. I knew I just couldn't give up all the power that came with using linux. Well I just continued on as a happy ubuntu user until last year trying out other distros occasionally but always coming back to ubuntu. Last year I decided to give arch a try and learned a crap ton about linux in the process. I've gone back to ubuntu on 2/3 of my computers but, arch sticks around on the netbook. Heck even my routers run linux.

PJs Ronin
December 24th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I started with computers back in the early '80s and watched in awe as Gates and co started rolling out incredible Windows versions. Fast forward to late 90s and the Y2K kerfuffle with Windows ME followed by Vista pretty well screwed Windows for me, but by then I was running my own mom & pop computer repair store making a reasonable living from Mr Gates and his products. Funny thing was, every time I got a customer in with a dead computer ready to give me their prettiest (subjective) daughter in marriage if I could recover the images of great aunt Bertha off the HD, the best tool in my box was a CD called the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) that had a bunch of indispensable tools for getting in to dead HDs.

The UBCD had just about every recovery tool you could ever need, and the word 'Linux' (isolinux) kept popping up. I stayed with Windows a little longer but found that I was dependant on Linux systems more and more to support Windows. Live CD variants of Linux distros caught my eye, IPCop (Linux firewall distro) was critical in managing a small community network, my clients' Windows computers were being bombarded with viruses and hijackers but Linux boxes appeared immune, and better disk recovery tools based on Linux became available. I can honestly say that in more than 25 years with PCs, I have never been in a position where I could not recover a client's data... and most of the times I used Linux tools to crack open a Windows based HD to do the job.

Around 2009 I finally gave up liking Windows. I just didn't like the direction MS was going and the lack of cohesion between all the software elements on a Windows PC was driving me nuts. I took a shot a Debian, didn't like it. Stumbled across Ubuntu-Jaunty and saw some potential but really didn't get involved until Maverick hit the streets. I was still mostly Windows until Precise appeared and then I was hooked. Within 2 months all my computers were running Ubuntu with a VM holding a current Windows install for my one gaming vice.

I'm one of the retired set now and have no intention of learning the intricacies of Ubuntu/Linux... just enough to get me by and be a little dangerous. See, you can teach an old cat (some) new tricks.

JRV
December 24th, 2013, 03:14 PM
My first experience with Linux occurred sometime around 1995. Up until that point I was using DOS, the early releases of Windows did not Interest me. I was waiting for a 32 bit operating system. When Windows 95 was introduced it surprised me that Microsoft would create a 16 bit operating system 10 years after the introduction of the 386 processor, so I went looking elsewhere. I gave OS2, Linux, and Windows NT4 each a six month trial, enough to become fairly comfortable with each. At that time I decided to go with Windows NT4. I don't remember what Linux distro I tried, but it came in second. I installed Linux every year or so to see how it was progressing, and it soon became apparent that Linux was getting better while Windows was just getting more bloated. When Microsoft introduced Vista I took one look and knew it was time to make the switch.

ajbozdar
December 25th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Eventually found an interesting topic at Ubuntu Cafe. Linux is wonderful. I started knowing about Linux in 2008, and first time I installed Linux on my system in 2009 (Ubuntu 9.04). It was a wonderful experience. It's hard to stay away from Windows because of communication with friends and family. I am still learning Linux, and I always use Ubuntu in dual boot mode. It's 12.04 now. Linux is much more productive for me. I like fedora EDA Spin as well. Ubuntu has lack of Engineering. It's quite limited comparing to Fedora. Last week, my 14 years old brother also started his Linux journey. I helped him to install Ubuntu 12.04. Thanks for reading and that's all for now. :)

Roasted
December 25th, 2013, 06:20 AM
In 2005 I built my first computer. Unfortunately I did not budget any funds for a Windows license. My cousin, who worked in the Linux field, recommended I get a distro as it's free. I installed it and got hooked on the philosophical meaning behind open source software. I used Ubuntu extensively and was a tremendously huge advocate for it up until about 2012. Following Ubuntu's undoubtedly questionable agenda I began to explore other distros. OpenSUSE was on the radar and one I still enjoy to this day. Mint and elementary OS are always on the radar too. I am currently a heavy elementary OS user but I might be floating back to Mint, largely due to elementary's lack of auto mount (come on, it's 2013.. almost 2014 guys), plus the default file manager in elementary OS is insanely unstable.

We'll see where things take me, but for now I am really partial to the Debian/Ubuntu base. I have a strong suspicion that once Update Pack 8 lands in January for LMDE (Cinnamon 2) I'll be using LMDE as my primary distro. We'll see how things go.

Allavona
December 25th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Been with Windows since 3.11 for Workgroups. Kept 95PLUS Ver. B well past XP's release. Skipped over 98, ME, and 2000.

In 2008, my mother had a Toshiba that had Vista. It was nothing but issues until it finally was unusable. She went without a computer for a bit until she bought a Win7 machine. I inherited the Toshiba and checked it out. All was fine except the OS. I couldn't reinstall because there was no recovery disc or partition. 10.10 saved the day.
I am a proficient Windows user. (I know enough to ignore the BS, and appreciate its power and what it can do) Meerkat was new, I loved the desktop, it was clean, quick, and efficient. The terminal wasn't scary at all because I used the command prompt in Windows alot, so it was nothing new. The main thing was learning where in the blue hell Ubuntu put everything!
Then I read an article that said something to the effect that if one wants to learn Linux, get Arch. So I did, and the learning was with me. Arch is still on that Toshiba. Its been borked and porked many times and many an hour has been spent repairing it. I took it offline a year or so ago and it sits next to an equally old TV in the basement with a VGA cable connecting it to the TV as a monitor to watch DVD's on. It does play Wesnoth great!
The adventurous part of me wants to wire it up and pacman -Syu my way into borkville, because thats most certainly the outcome. I just wanna see how bad!!

Now I run Ubuntu Gnome on my Laptop and Mint Petra on the desktop, both alongside Win7. The desktop was a downgrade from 8, if you wanna call it that. To me it was an upgrade! HeeHee!

riverguy99
December 28th, 2013, 09:07 PM
My first computer was this ginormous DOS monster with two 512kb floppy drives and a 10" green-text monitor that must have weighed 50 pounds. One drive for the OS (which actually fit on a 512kb floppy, along with a primitive word processor and spreadsheet) and the other was for your data. That was in 1984, and I was hooked!

Fast forward through 25 years of computer evolution and dozens of computers, all with M/S OS's, and enter serious Windoze burnout. In about 2005, my IT engineer son recommends Ubuntu, and I immediately jump in. I set up my laptop and then my work machines and happily ran Ubuntu exclusively for two years. In spite of a lot of traitor-references from some dedicated Ubuntu Forum folks, I was successfully using Crossover so that I could continue the use of Photoshop for my publishing work. It was all sweet until I needed to get a wifi network installed. After months of bothering the good folks on the Forum and trying many suggestions on how to possibly get Ubuntu to speak to any one of the many wifi setups and cards I had then, and never getting it to work reliably on any of them, I finally tossed it in and loaded WinXP back up just so that I could get a reliable wifi network going on. Then over the next few years I would visit the Forum again to see if anything had changed and according to all the frustrated questions on how to get wifi working, I assumed not.

December, 2013. Still dreaming about Ubuntu, I decided to try again, and I downloaded 12.04 onto my favorite laptop. I sat there in amazement as I watched Ubuntu install itself. Almost immediately it configured the wifi (YES!!!), and then did so to each and every driver, even updating them as necessary! I was blown away. And in love! I'm here to stay this time, and will eventually migrate Ubuntu to all four of our office machines. And I'm looking forward to a lot of quality time on this Forum, too.

JKyleOKC
December 29th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Quite an interesting thread!

I came into the computer world in its prehistoric era -- 1959 to be exact. As an electronics tech writer, I was assigned to write the Programmer's Reference Manual for a machine called the AN/UYK-1, being created by my employer on a U.S. Navy contract. I knew almost nothing about computers as such, at the time, but did know how to do research and had access to the people designing the machine. It sported a massive memory: 4,096 15-bit words (the gurus hadn't yet discovered that things worked better if you keep to powers of 2) stored in solid state devices.

As part of the writing process, I had to develop examples of the various operations. However since the hardware still had not been built, my examples couldn't actually be tested. Nevertheless the whole experience inoculated me with computer fever.

Fast-forward a few years during which I continued to write about radio and hobby electronics projects having nothing at all to do with computers, became a magazine editor, returned home to Oklahoma from the West Coast, and became unemployed. Then in 1965 I found a help-wanted ad looking for a tech writer familiar with computers, and I applied for the job. It turned out to be creating the service manuals for a brand-new gadget called a video terminal -- the forerunner of our current keyboard and monitor devices, and I got the job almost instantly after the initial interview.

That was with General Electric, at the time one of the eight largest computer manufacturers in the world, and in addition to creating the video terminal, they were establishing a time-shared computer network that allowed me to finally access a real mainframe machine and run my sample programs to prove that they worked. Access was through a Model 33 TeleType machine hooked up to a modem at 110 baud, to the machine located some 1700 miles away, through G-E's internal voice system that connected all of their sites.

I quickly became hooked and spent far too many hours after work, learning to use the systems. By the time that G-E sold its Computer Division to Honeywell, and Honeywell pulled out of MIT's Project MAC to set up their own version of that project called MULTICS, I was re-programming the system's text editors to make them generate our specifications and manuals. The dissolution of Project MAC had, just a short time earlier, caused a couple of Bell Labs folk to create a mini-MULTICS that they called Unix, which could run on one of the new "mini" machines rather thsn requiring a huge mainframe.

However, I continued to work with the Honeywell MULTICS system until management finally decided to do away with the connections between OKC and Phoenix. By that time I had managed to get a small system going specifically for use by the Publications unit in the OKC plant, and then the micro-computer chip burst upon the scene.

Initially, the kits were too costly for my budget. By 1981, though, a combination of unlikely events led me to collaborate with a fellow who proposed that I transfer my publishing programs to the micro world, and offered to provide me the necessary hardware to do so. On the third Sunday of June, 1981, I drove some 90 miles to his office and returned with a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 3 and its daisy-wheel printer, entering the world of the PC at last.

Later that year, of course, IBM introduced the original PC, and our plan to create the ultimate office assistant died on the vine. However we continued our partnership for several more years, and he eventually pushed me into the Microsoft world to develop a madical practice management program.

Having come into all this through the world of assembly language and working right down at the bare metal level, I avoided early versions of Windows. In fact, I found MS-DOS itself to be a huge step backward compared to the advanced system I had been using on the TRS-80. However market forces eventually made it inevitable that I learn to work with Windows, and at version 3.1 it finally became reliable enough for serious development.

By the time Win95 appeared, it was even possible to dual or even triple boot a machine, and I set my home system up to run Win95, Windows NT 3.5, and Linux -- using Slackware 2.0 that came on a CD with a book. I tried all three but stayed with Win95 for most everything until the day that something went wrong and crashed the disk. After reformatting, I abandoned NT and Linux, putting only Win95 back in place.

A few years later, after adding a couple more machines and setting up a small home network, I left the door wide open for a few minutes and picked up a copy of the Chernobyl virus -- an especially mean thing that specialized in destroying motherboards. Fortunately I was able to detect it before it could do so, and saved my hardware, but in rebuilding my network I decided to create a software router using Linux, to help me control such invasion efforts.

I wound up with Mandrake 8.1, running on a Pentium II with an amazine 80 MB of RAM and 20 GB of disk. That was around 1995. I've been a Linux user ever since, although market forces still required that I do most of my development for Windows.

After about 12 years, my Mandrake system bit the dust in spectacular fashion one morning when its power switch shorted out and fried the motherboard. The then-current versions of Mandriva failed to install properly on the replacement box so I began looking for an alternative. I had noticed on various Internat discussion groups that something called Ubuntu was gaining popularity, and "Feisty Fawn" 7.04 was said to be one of the best Linux distributions available.

Research led me to install the Xubuntu version since I was still in the minimum-resource mindset left over from those early days, and I fell in love with it. As soon as the next LTS version appeared, I upgraded to it, and I've run with the LTS versions ever since. I've also stayed with Xubuntu through the years, although I check out the main Ubuntu version also in a virtual machine just to be sure I'm not missing anything.

All in all, it's been a fun journey. Looking back at those early days, it's hard to believe we did so much with so very little, but at the time it seemed that we were always on top of the world. I can't help but wonder what today will look like, fifty years from now!

r3dd
December 30th, 2013, 03:27 AM
I first started with Linux back in 2006 while I was working at Circuit City. It was Ubuntu, actually. I toyed with it for a while, eventually I went back to Windows because I didn't understand how to do things on Linux. About 4 years ago I started dabbling again. I have bounced around a lot between different distributions from Slackware to Ubuntu variants to ArchLinux and a few others. It was a great learning experience. Recently, I settled on Kubuntu because it is appealing to the eye and I like it. I have learned a lot setting up my home network for shared folders and to perform various other tasks for me.

Swappiness
December 30th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Basically I got started with Linux last year when I wanted to know about Ubuntu and what it was. Once I found out a bit about it I downloaded 12.04 and burned it to DVD and booted it up. I thought it was cool but not know enough about it I didn't install it. I didn't touch it again until earlier this year. I installed 13.04 along side Windows and just switched between the two when I got bored or got sick of Windows. Over time I became sick of Windows slowing down and so I got rid of it. I continued using Ubuntu and started getting curious about other Linux distros. I downloaded a few burned them to discs and tried them out with Virtualbox. A few didn't work and it wasn't until a couple of months down the track that I realized they were the wrong versions for my laptop. After all that I just stuck with just having a dual boot system in case I needed Windows for something. After about 2 or 3 months I got so sick of my laptop slowing down with Windows I got rid of it completely, then put it back on, then got rid of it again.....well, everyone knows the story. Recently I've been trying other distros that I didn't get to ealier in the year due to me downloading the wrong version by mistake. I tried Fedora, Linuxlite & openSUSE. Finally I tried openSUSE, installing it on a spare external hard drive I no longer use. So I ended up with a triple boot system i.e. Windows 7, Ubuntu 13.10 and openSUSE 13.1. In the end I just installed openSUSE over the top of Ubuntu and Windows 7 and I've been using it for a few days or a week now (maybe more).

I'll more than likely go back to Ubuntu one day or just install it along side openSUSE but for now I'll just stick with what I've got.

MrSteve
December 31st, 2013, 01:52 AM
started using Ubuntu 4.04 then the first LTS came out 6.06 and have remained with the LTS version. currently using 12.04.3
tried a few other distros over the years but always came back to Ubuntu and now with 5 year support for LTS this is where i shall remain ...

LT1Caprice57L
January 1st, 2014, 07:08 AM
My linux journey started back in '98, though I never actually managed to install a copy back then. I was 13, and where my family and I lived, dial-up (not even 56K) was the only option. I was fascinated about an OS that you could download for free, but with that 33.6 dial up, and a father obsessed with making sure the computer was shut down when someone wasn't sitting at it (this was in the days before pause-and-resume downloads), a ~600MB download was simply never going to happen, and since an allowance for doing chores was never something my sister and I got, I couldn't buy a CD either.

Nonetheless, I kept researching it for a couple years, and hoping some kind of faster internet would come to our little New Hampshire town. Well, it finally did, but it never made it all the way out to our house. A year later (probably 2002 or so by now) I forgot all about it. Fast forward to 2007, I got an old Sony Vaio laptop for free that had a properly borked copy of Windows XP on it. The laptop had been my mom's, and she had just gotten a new MacBook. We searched to no avail for the recovery CD, and it was right about that moment that I had a flashback to 1998, remembering a page full of Red Hat screenshots I had been looking at. I immediately jumped on the desktop and began researching Linux again, finding out that Ubuntu seemed to be the most popular distro with Linux beginners. I downloaded the Feisty Fawn (7.04) LiveCD and popped it in. The LiveCD performance was horrible, but despite that, I was hooked almost immediately. Everything just worked.

But then I upgraded to 8.04, and no longer did everything just work. With each version upgrade, more and more things would break. I stopped at 9.04, built a new computer and loaded Windows Vista, because I had become frustrated with Ubuntu. With SP2, it's really not all that bad on a capable system. Then I got a netbook with XP and was fine with that for awhile, until I got into trucking, and it took a tumble from the top bunk of my trainer's truck. Mid-2012 by this point. Got another netbook, with nearly identical specs, but Win 7 unstead of XP. This just wasn't going to work out. I researched lightweight Linux distros, looking to try Linux again, and settled on Mint 14 XFCE. It just worked, like Ubuntu 7.04 did! I was stoked. I still run that on that netbook, but keep Win 7 around for a couple trucking-specific Windows-only applications.

Fast forward to last week. I found Mom's now-old Macbook, which suffered a double (or so we thought) drive failure JUST out of warranty. Since she had moved on, computer-wise, she gave it to me and I tossed in a known-good HDD I had laying around. I soon realized the internal DVD drive hadn't actually failed, tossed in the Ubuntu 12.04 LiveCD and went to town. And it installed, and JUST WORKED. I am hooked once again.