PDA

View Full Version : Can I remove lxde completely from lubuntu and keep kubuntu-desktop?

zkr300
December 14th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I have installed lubuntu that comes with the standard desktop lxde. I have since installed kubuntu-desktop on top of it. If I now remove lxde by virtue of:

sudo apt-get purge lxde
sudo apt-get autoremove

Will this cause conflicts because lubuntu must have lxde to run? Or will it automatically boot to kubuntu-desktop?

Thanks in advance and cheers.

Bucky Ball
December 14th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Not sure. Easier would be to backup and do a clean install Kubuntu.

zkr300
December 14th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the tip but I can't install kubuntu because of older, more inferior hardware. :)

vasa1
December 14th, 2013, 06:21 AM
My guess is that you can log into a kubuntu desktop session and then "carefully" start deleting things you don't want. Use apt-get purge -s package_name to get a simulation of what will be deleted and then, based on your assessment of the consequences, do the real thing.

If I were you, I'd follow Bucky Ball's advice. Clean installs are cleaner :)

vasa1
December 14th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the tip but I can't install kubuntu because of older, more inferior hardware. :)

This is making no sense :(

Can you explain?

codemaniac
December 14th, 2013, 06:32 AM
you can try removing the lxde packages and install kubuntu-desktop. Physocat lists the packages in the below blog.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/tag/pure-kubuntu/

I removed all the gtk stuffs from an ubuntu installation couple of weeks ago and installed kubuntu-destop on the system. The only hiccup was the lightdm was still pointing to unity-greeter and it was removed, so no login screen till I changed the greeter-session to lightdm-kde-greeter in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf configuration file.

PS: Please do a backup before everything. :)

zkr300
December 14th, 2013, 06:35 AM
@vasa i need a non-pae kernel, still have an old celeron processor

zkr300
December 14th, 2013, 06:40 AM
@codemaniac what do you mean by changing the greeter session and should i do this before hand?

what is the text that must be replaced?

monkeybrain20122
December 14th, 2013, 06:49 AM
There may be a simpler way to do it, but here is one suggestion.

Download the rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage, make a live usb (check that it boots in your system). Then make a clone of your system with fsarchiver http://www.fsarchiver.org/QuickStart (probably you only need to clone the / partition if you have separate / and /home) Then do whatever experiments you need to do and if anything goes irreparable wrong just restore the image. If you just clone the / partition it can be very fast to clone and restore and the backup file would not take too much space (mine is about 4 G, the original is almost twice as big)
On restoring I always reformat the targeted partition first.

Bucky Ball
December 14th, 2013, 06:59 AM

? You're running Kubuntu-desktop now. There's not a lot of difference! If you have Kubuntu-desktop installed, you may as well do a clean install of Kubuntu.

monkeybrain20122
December 14th, 2013, 07:05 AM
? You're running Kubuntu-desktop now. There's not a lot of difference! If you have Kubuntu-desktop installed, you may as well do a clean install of Kubuntu.

I guess what he meant is that Kubuntu doesn't support non pae kernel but lubuntu does, so instead of installing Kubuntn he has to do it in a round about way by installing lubuntu and then switch to a kde desktop.

codemaniac
December 14th, 2013, 08:24 AM
@codemaniac what do you mean by changing the greeter session and should i do this before hand?

what is the text that must be replaced?

the lightdm configuration file is located in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. I am not sure what lubuntu uses by default, but chances are it uses greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter in the mentioned config file.

After installing kubuntu-desktop you can change the greeter-session attribute to lightdm-kde-greeter.

mörgæs
December 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Here's some info on solving the PAE (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE) problem.