PDA

View Full Version : ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 on Dell Inspiron 1750 - VGA to YPbPr

santiago.pagani
December 13th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hi,

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330 graphics card on my Dell Inspiron 1750 laptop. The laptop has only a VGA output, and no HDMI output.

Also, I just bought a Sony 50W656A TV. The TV works just fine, and I'm able to play movies using an USB hard-drive, external subtitles and all.

My only problem is that I cannot directly connect my laptop to the TV as it is, because the TV has no VGA input. I remember reading that with this graphics card I could output YPbPr through the VGA port, with the proper cable. However, I cannot find where (if I remember correctly) read that.

Has anyone tried this?

Thank you for your comments.

thelionroars1337
December 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM
You just need a converter for whatever port is available on your TV that you wish to use - eg. a VGA to HDMI converter. Look for a fairly cheap one, digital cables are often sold for many times their real value by retailers because people don't know any better (you don't need gold plating etc.)

Yellow Pasque
December 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM
You just need a converter for whatever port is available on your TV that you wish to use - eg. a VGA to HDMI converter. Look for a fairly cheap one, digital cables are often sold for many times their real value by retailers because people don't know any better (you don't need gold plating etc.)

I disagree. You don't want to cheap out on a VGA to DVI/HDMI adapter because it's not a simple adapter. It will need to have an analog -> digital converter (ADC), and you don't want a low quality one.

As for the cable, it depends on what kind of adapter you get. If you get an adapter that's meant to reside near the display (example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812150115 ), then you'll actually be using an analog cable.