PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Working on C

wingnut2626
December 13th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Hey guys. Im working on learning C and I am having some trouble. I think whats going on is that the Book that I'm using to learn this is severly outdated. Basically I am trying to create a string, and print from the first place in the string on to the end (like reading a last name). Here is the code:

#include <stdio.h>

char name[20] = "Roy Hibbert";

int position= 0;

void main(){

while(name[position]!=' '){

position++;

}

printf(&name[position]);

}

and also there is a way to do it using pointers :

#include <stdio.h>

char name[20] = "Derrick Rose";

char *SurnameStart = name;

void main(){

while(*SurnameStart != ' '){

SurnameStart++;

}

SurnameStart++;

printf(SurnameStart);

}

Here is the warning that is generated when I attempt to compile either of these:

warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments [-Wformat-security]
printf(SurnameStart);

What am I doing wrong? And can someone explain to me the importance of pointers anyhow? Not even sure why these are necessary. Thanks in advance

steeldriver
December 13th, 2013, 01:33 AM
Oops WRONG! see below...

wingnut2626
December 13th, 2013, 01:49 AM
Thats crazy because this is how the book has it explicitly laid out....

wingnut2626
December 13th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Is it possible that this is using a different version of C?

steeldriver
December 13th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Oops sorry I misread your code

It compiles OK in gcc (even with -Wall -ansi -pedantic) even though 'SurnameStart' is not a string literal, I think ('name' is though)

How exactly are you trying to compile it?

trent.josephsen
December 13th, 2013, 01:55 AM
Warnings are normal and expected; they don't necessarily mean you've done something wrong.

In this case the warning means that surnameStart can't be checked by the compiler, and if it contains any % specifiers, printf will try to use them (with possibly disastrous results). The defensive way to program this line is like this:

printf("%s", surnameStart);
(Also note that you should add "\n" to the end of the format string if you want to see the result.)

If you compile your code with -Wall -Wextra -std=c11 -pedantic, you'll also get an error saying that main() must return int. This is true in any standard version of C. If your book uses "void main()", do yourself a favor and get rid of it. (The book, I mean.)

Aside from that, your code has an awful lot of unnecessary blank lines, most of which I would remove. Readability counts.

wingnut2626
December 13th, 2013, 01:56 AM
I just added a %s in there. Makes sense, that would be a formatted string. Wonder why the book has it like that? Maybe to make me start flying on my own?

wingnut2626
December 13th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Yeah when I am finished, i take the blank lines out. They are in there so that i can print it out and write my own notes in there. For the future i will eliminate them before posting again. Thanks!