PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Why Thunar hangs before opening

geovino
December 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM
I'm using Xubuntu 13.10

I've noticed every time I use Xfce and opening Thunar file manager most of the time it opens quickly, but sometimes it stalls and won't open for a while. Why is this? How can I fix this issue?

dentaku65
December 13th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Silly question: did you try to remove saved session?

rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions
and reboot

vasa1
December 13th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Silly question: did you try to remove saved session?

rm -rf ~/.cache/sessions
and reboot
Note that to do so, you will need to

log out first
open a console with Ctrl+Alt+F1
delete the contents or move the files elsewhere
close the console using Ctrl+Alt+F7

I'm not sure that a reboot is needed.

If the problem persists, please try to look for some sort of pattern of activity that makes Thunar hang. Thunar hanging when first opened in a session used to be an issue about a year ago but isn't now, AFAIK.

geovino
December 13th, 2013, 01:25 PM
That was the wrong advice. After running that command it removed all my files!! Now I have to transfer most of them from my backup.

Maybe someone else knows how to fix thunar. for now I'll live with it or go back to another OS!

Morbius1
December 13th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I haven't noticed this problem in a while but a few releases ago it was caused by the default way Thunar will search for Samba shares on the network - regardless if you even have samba shares on the network.

[1] Make a backup copy of a file:

sudo cp -a /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount.bak
[2] Then edit the original network.mount file and set AutoMount to false:

[Mount]
Type=network
Exec=/usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-network
AutoMount=false

The downside to this is if you do have samba shares on the network then when you access "Browse Network" it will take a while to find them.

dentaku65
December 14th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Hi,

That was the wrong advice. After running that command it removed all my files!! Now I have to transfer most of them from my backup.

Maybe someone else knows how to fix thunar. for now I'll live with it or go back to another OS!

Which command you enter in order to remove all your files? :confused:

Removing cache sessions as I indicated in post #2 do not delete any personal data though