PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu with xfce-desktop upgrade

GRbit
December 12th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Once upon a time , I pulled up to the end of the brakes on my ancient Atom N260. I thought a bit, and decided to take it to hell all the gnome and Unity, and install xfce.
Looked , thought and decided to demolish then half of xfce too.
And in general a rather big part of the system was purged, burned as after crusade, and other part was tuned manually.
Then I compiled newest kernel with pf patch and calmed down.

Since then, as the year has passed . Stability and speed constantly pleasing I must say) But less and less programs are building for 12.04, and the more tasty ones released under 12.10 , 13.04 , and their ilk . It's time to upgrade my friends.

But to my great regret, Google is full of **** about cutting ubuntu and install xfce-desktop, there is nothing good I could find.

Tried to refer to the documentation useful to study Debian. There I saw a lot of valuable advice, but unfortunately, I didn't find the detailed description of the processes occurring during upgrade or so. I can not even see what I eventually get , or ubuntu packages with xfce, whether installed packages just refresh ...

I just want to get system based on 12.10 or further. Not a bunch of newly installed packages, but only an opportunity to install bunch of new packages.

Good red-eyed brothers (and sisters , sisters in particular), please share the experience, and even better detailed manual. Manual explaining what actually happens at a time of upgrade, and how to make such manipulation in manual mode.

P.S.: Update this version, or to experience the process of updating necessary, other options are NOT CONSIDERED.

mastablasta
December 12th, 2013, 11:46 AM
what are you saying? install xfce and then remove the gnome packages that are not needed (e.g.): http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purexubuntu

to get new packages into 12.04 you need to have PPA of the newer package. to witness the upgrade process as it happens do it via terminal.

GRbit
December 12th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I've deleted more packages than it supposed by link you gave. I worried about upgrading process, if it will not find some package what will happen?

New packages just want more new packages. Sometimes that packages are from newer version of ubuntu. I don't want to install all of them manually like in Gentoo.

I'm just worried that when I'll do distro upgrade, It automaticaly install lots of packages I don't needed. I whnat to control this process and every new package.

Can I for example add PPA of 12.10 and delete the 12.04 PPA? What will happen?

P.S. Thank you for replying me)

Bucky Ball
December 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I think an upgrade upgrades the kernel to the 12.10 kernel and the packages you currently have installed. Apart from the kernel I don't think it drags anything else in. I had a complete hybrid running on my desktop for about four years and did 8.04>10.04 upgrade and didn't notice anything new.

I can't say, though, that I can guarantee nothing is dragged in or can comprehensively answer your query.

Frogs Hair
December 12th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Can I for example add PPA of 12.10 and delete the 12.04 PPA? What will happen? What PPA ?

A distribution upgrade via the updtate manager is a complete package/library replacement and software repository change. I have watched an upgrade and what happens is the repository is changed to the new release with the upgrade prompt , download of the new release ISO packages , unpacking of replacements , installation/setup of new packages, cleanup, and reboot.This process is not subject to manual control.

It reads like you want to add a newer repository to an older release to get newer software versions and it won't work because of dependency differences . I run an XFCE PPA on 13.10 and the packages are listed on Lauchpad . https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/xfce-4.12