PDA

View Full Version : Broken Package Managers

jordan.stanford
December 12th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I'm running 12.04 on a Dell Latitude D820. For several months the wireless card (a Dell branded broadcom device) has not worked. I spent a few hours working on it at the time, and never got back to it.
Two weeks ago the real trouble began. A message popped up telling me that my package manager was broken and I should either use synaptic (which does not load for some reason) or run dpkg --config -a to fis the issue.
Unfortunately, dpkg --config -a hangs after it seems to either uninstall or reinstall the wireless drivers.
I have been unable to get any apt commands to run, and everything I can find seems to lead me right back to dpkg --config -a.

My Kernel is 3.2.0-54-generic and I don't know what other information to provide. I'm somewhere between newbie and end user so please be patient with me friends :)

ian-weisser
December 12th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I have been unable to get any apt commands to run

If your package manager is broken, then that behavior is expected.

Please open a terminal, run the command sudo --configure -a again, and please show us the complete output of the command. Some of it may look like garbage to you, but it has important meaning to us.

jordan.stanford
December 12th, 2013, 03:47 AM
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up bcmwl-kernel-source (6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu0.0.2) ...
Removing old bcmwl-6.20.155.1+bdcom DKMS files...

-------- Uninstall Beginning --------
Module: bcmwl
Version: 6.20.155.1+bdcom
Kernel: 3.2.0-54-generic (i686)
-------------------------------------

Status: Before uninstall, this module version was ACTIVE on this kernel.

wl.ko:
- Uninstallation
- Deleting from: /lib/modules/3.2.0-54-generic/updates/dkms/
- Original module
- No original module was found for this module on this kernel.
- Use the dkms install command to reinstall any previous module version.

depmod..........

DKMS: uninstall completed.

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 6.20.155.1+bdcom
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Loading new bcmwl-6.20.155.1+bdcom DKMS files...
Building only for 3.2.0-54-generic
Building for architecture i686
Building initial module for 3.2.0-54-generic
Done.

wl:
Running module version sanity check.
- Original module
- No original module exists within this kernel
- Installation
- Installing to /lib/modules/3.2.0-54-generic/updates/dkms/

depmod....

DKMS: install completed.

jordan.stanford
December 12th, 2013, 03:50 AM
So that is the output. I can see where it is removing the wireless package and reinstalling it. After it seems to succeede though it just hangs there. I'm a windows admin by trade so I understand a bit more of this than I am letting on, but I don't want to miss something based on an assumption I have made. I always feel in over my head when dealing with my ubuntu boxes off script... Thanks for your assistance.

jordan.stanford
December 13th, 2013, 10:32 PM
I am now also recieving a message that my software indexes are corrrupt, but the solution provided uses apt to correct this, which obviously won't work, and I have not found an alternative in my searches these past couple of days.

ian-weisser
December 13th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Please show us the command and complete output, including the exact error message.
Please use [code] tags to comtain output - it helps make the output much more readable.