PDA

View Full Version : [kde] No way to install new "Styles" in KDE .

dave2001
December 12th, 2013, 03:00 AM
I cannot find how to install new "styles" in KDE. The color of the interior of windows, the appearance of buttons and progress bars, etc. can only be changed under System-Settings>Application-Appearance->Style, yet there is no "install new" option. I tried extracting a style from kdelook.org into several different folders i thought sounded likely, but they never showed up as choices in the above menu, so I must not be putting them in the right place. I can install new window decorations and desktop themes easily, but these have no effect on the above mentioned characteristics. Help appreciated!

dave2001
December 12th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I have been able to find a few other threads on various forums asking this same question, but never a good answer. Someone usually just replies with instructions on how to install new "Window Decorations", which of course is not what the OP (or me) was asking.

Really stumped.. I did find this though in one thread:

OP: "Style decorations for windows. They can be changed in Applications appearance -> Styles. But I don't see how to install new ones"

RP: "You cannot add new styles there. They are implemented inside the QT library, they are qt widget styles. Although you could program a new one: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/qstyle.html#creating-a-custom-style"

I'm going to read through that link and see if it provides any clues as to what's going on here...

ronnoc
December 13th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Hi there. I'm not 100% sure on this, as I've always enjoyed the default Oxygen style, but one thing you could do is ask the author of the style on KDE-LOOK.org how to install them. I've found that the various authors of material there are usually more than willing to help out. Good luck!