PDA

View Full Version : How it easy will it be to install Ubuntu on a Presario SR1403WM PW532AA#ABA

techanimelover
December 11th, 2013, 10:07 PM
i am considering installing ubuntu on a Presario SR1403WM PW532AA#ABA
it has 192 megs of ram and a sempron processor
the only concern is that the media center will not work and also i have done some reasearch that indicates that the on board graphics causes problems installing

ajgreeny
December 11th, 2013, 11:04 PM
i am considering installing ubuntu on a Presario SR1403WM PW532AA#ABA
it has 192 megs of ram and a sempron processor
the only concern is that the media center will not work and also i have done some reasearch that indicates that the on board graphics causes problems installing
The simple answer is that it will be impossible to install Ubuntu on that hardware. I don't think you will even get Lubuntu to install on it, as the amount of RAM is simly not enough.

Have a look at something like DSL or Puppy and you may have more success, though even those may run fairly slowly.

kurt18947
December 12th, 2013, 01:41 AM
If you're fairly comfortable with working in your machine, you might be able to add RAM to make your machine functional with the 'lighter' distros. The other question I'd have is the chipset. According to a data sheet found via Google (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00303953), that machine has an SiS chipset like you said. I don't have an experience with them but do recall reading about some problems with SiS video chips. SiS did make motherboard chipsets as well as video chip sets. It appears to use a common memory stick - PC3200 184 pin - that you can find used on Ebay for not much money. Depending on how much time and money you wish to devote, there appear to be 1 AGP and two PCI slots open from the factory. You might be able to plug a video card into one of those slots assuming they're unused. It looks like you could bring the RAM up to 2 GB. which is plenty IME and get an AGP video card - about $25-$30 for both items. I have bought from Xtreme RAM and no problems

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2GB-DDR-PC3200-2X-1GB-PC-3200-400MHz-High-Density-DESKTOP-RAM-for-VIA-SIS-/331050488061?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item4d142590fd

I don't really have a recommendation for video card. Generally Nvidia is a good choice but I don't know which older Nvidia open source drivers work well or which of the older Nvidia chipsets are supported by available Nvidia proprietary drivers.

techanimelover
December 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM
i miss spoke about the Ram its actually 960 megs
but do you know if i will be able to use the media center which is on this model?

techanimelover
December 12th, 2013, 03:15 AM
i made a mistake it actually has 960 instead of the 192 i said