PDA

View Full Version : mp3 player recommendations

guine
December 10th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Im looking to get a new mp3 player after my old ipod died, I'm looking for something in the 8-16gb range that can play ogg in addition for mp3s thats preferrably under $100. I was looking at the SanDisk - Sansa Fuze+ 16GB and wondering if anyone else has used that one or if theres any other players that play nice with linux that you would recomend. Thanks

andyfied
December 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I have used the Sansa Clip+ for many years with no problems. I recently got a Clip Zip which also connects to Ubuntu perfectly, but seems a bit more sensitive to not being ejected from my Win8 machine (I always seem to remember to eject it from my Lubuntu box!). AFAIK the Fuse+ should be fine as well. They all mount as drives with the internal memory and SD card showing as separate drives. The Fuze+ is also compatible with http://www.rockbox.org/ if you get bored of the stock interface or need more features. RockBox will play near enough any audio file and scrobbles and does all kind of other stuff.

Compatibility aside, they are all great little mp3 players with good audio and decent battery life. Bear in mind that I have never used a Fuse+ and there are a few complaints about the button sensitivity on the internet.

mamamia88
December 11th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Clip Zip with rockbox firmware. Can be had for $20. Get a 32gb card on sale for $20 and voila.

guine
December 12th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the recommendations.