PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Parameters on Default Web Browser

raptir
December 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
I'm using Xubuntu and want to make Chrome by default browser. However, I run chrome with the --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/chrome in order to move the cache into a ramdisk. I've modified the .desktop file for chrome to run with the parameter and it works fine. However, when I set my default browser to be "/usr/bin/google-chrome-beta --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/chrome" the Web Browser shortcuts still opens Chrome with the cache in the default location. From a little Googling, it seems as though exo-open ignores any parameters on the default application. Is there any way around this?

Toz
December 8th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Have you tried bypassing the exo-open set of commands by creating your own entry in Preferred Applications as documented at http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/exo/preferred-applications?

raptir
December 9th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Yes, unfortunately what you linked to does not bypass exo-open. When you click a link or run the Web Browser application Xfce calls "exo-open --launch WebBrowser" which takes the browser command entered in the preferred applications window and strips off any parameters.

The special marker %s in the command will be substituted with the URL when you click on a hyperlink. When running just the preferred Web Browser without any URL, i.e. using exo-open --launch WebBrowser, only the binary of the specified command will be used and the parameters will be stripped off. In the example above, with mywebbrowser ”%s” as custom Web Browser, the command mywebbrowser will be used to open the Web Browser without an URL.

It does not specify it in the page you linked, but I've found that exo-open also fails to parse parameters when clicking a URL. It passes the URL but still drops the remaining parameters.

The_ERROR
December 19th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I have exactly same problem.... so far no luck...