PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] How can I accelerate my PIV computer (I ask for 3 method)?

Lucasartsupporter
December 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Hi.

I use Lubuntu 13.10 32 bits in a Pentium IV computer with 2 GB DDR Ram, an ATI graphic card and an ATA hard disk. This flavour of Ubuntu uses zRAM to improve its performance and I was wondering if moving termporary files (/tmp/) to RAM (tmpfs) will make an additional improvement. I might also move Firefox cache to /tmp/firefox as I have read in some webpages.

2 GB are a little amount, but Lubuntu without ClamAV-daemon usually takes less than 300 MB plus the zRAM space whose amount I do not know.

The computer is used for working and studying: MS Office 2010 by PlayOnLinux, making some video files from PowerPoint presentations, surfing Internet, playing educational CDs by Wine and burning a few ones.

Do you think 2 GB RAM is enough for zRAM and tmpfs?

I am also considering installing Lubuntu in an USB pendrive and moving /tmp/ to RAM and some folders to the hard disk in order not to lose them if the USB pendrive became worn out.

Which one will improve the system the most?

I do not know if I can use the second method, because the only USB 2.0 ports the computer has are from a PCI card and I do not know if BIOS USB boot options include these USB 2.0 ports.

I would like to ask one more question, will moving /tmp/ and Firefox cache to and USB pendrive improve the default installation performance without risks?