PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB not booting correctly after dual boot install

bdeonovic
December 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Cross posted at askubuntu (because this article told me to post here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI)

I followed these instructions to dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported?rq=1

I was successfully able to install ubuntu. But then I couldn't boot into windows 8

"File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc000000c Info: the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors."

So I ran boot-repair in ubuntu.

But then when I restarted computer I get:

error: invalid arch independent ELF magic
grub rescue >

At the end of boot-repair I had this message:

Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda2/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!

I have no idea how to do that. I am able to boot into ubuntu by hitting the F12 on startup, otherwise it goes to the screen with the invalid arch error.

Here is the summary of the boot-repair: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6535680

EDIT: Still not able to boot into windows 8 from grub screen btw I get:

error: unknown command 'drivemap'.
error: invalid EFI file path.

EDIT: A few more details: when I installed ubuntu I had my BIOS set to legacy mode (not UEFI) as suggested by the article above. When I installed Ubuntu I chose the "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 8" option.

Bucky Ball
December 7th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Welcome. When in Ubuntu could you try running:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

... then reboot. The EFI boot files are definitely there for Win but I don't know a lot about that. Could have everything to do with it. :-k

bdeonovic
December 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
What does this do? I should mention that I have a 24gb msata SSD that is /dev/sda and my boot drive is a 1000gb HDD on /dev sdb. So should I do sudo grub-install /dev/sdb

oldfred
December 7th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Grub is in efi partition, it does look like you originally installed in BIOS mode and Booted Boot-Repair in BIOS mode. You need to always boot in UEFI mode.

What Windows boot entry are you using from grub menu?
It looks like Boot-Repair added a new entry but labeled it recovery for some reason.

menuentry "Windows UEFI recovery bkpbootmgfw.efi" {
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root BA8D-DA66
chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi
}

Boot-Repair also ran its "buggy" UEFI rename of bootmgfw.efi.
That is only need for those systems that only boot bootmgfw.efi, and will not boot ubuntu from UEFI menu.

bdeonovic
December 7th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Thank you for your response.

Thats an interesting find. I am able to successfully boot windows from the recovery option in grub. What do you recommend me to do?

bdeonovic
December 7th, 2013, 06:54 PM
How can I properly label the GRUB entries and get rid of some of the grub entries that seem to be duplicate

oldfred
December 7th, 2013, 06:56 PM
I have instructions on editing 25_custom in the link in my signature.
Basically
# Edit descriptions used by Boot-Repair or remove entire boot stanza
sudo cp -a /etc/grub.d/25_custom /etc/grub.d/bkup25_custom
gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/25_custom
#Then do:
sudo update-grub

You have dual video, have you had boot issues or installed bumblebee?

bdeonovic
December 7th, 2013, 07:01 PM
So I edit the bkup25_custom copy and update-grub will know to use it?

oldfred
December 7th, 2013, 07:17 PM
No grub only runs executable files that start with two numbers and and underscore. So the bkup file will not run. You edit the 25_custom. And backup is just in case you want something back you can copy it from the backup.

The 25_custom file was totally created by Boot-Repair and it not part of a standard grub. But you can create as many new files with extra info that you want like Boot-Repair did. Since grub processes in order, the 25_custom entries will be before the 30_os-prober entries.

Grub has only fixed the UEFI bug in os-prober with the very newest grub in 13.10, so you can turn off os-prober to eliminate those entries also. Later you can turn it on, if you get the new version of grub, but then would not need 25_custom.

# I add this line to grub configuration or turn off the execute bit on 30_os-prober
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
or turn off executable bit
sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
# Then do:
sudo update-grub
Or one liner
sudo echo GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true >> /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

grub2's os-prober creates wrong style (BIOS) chain boot entry Fixed with 13.10
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1024383