PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] solved - 13.10 upgrade - lvm, grub, other config files? How to handle?

PaulBx
December 5th, 2013, 02:40 AM
Just did the 13.10 upgrade using the Software Updater, which went pretty well. However two general questions:

1) It seemed like an awful lot of new (not just upgraded) packages or files were installed, over 100 of them (unfortunately I did not write down the details). Why so many, I wonder? I hope it had the sense to upgrade to Lubuntu and not Ubuntu. One thing I noticed - I had previously removed Firefox and Sylpheed from my system in favor of Seamonkey, but now it seems they are back. I wish the installer wouldn't do that. Maybe they account for all the extra stuff.

2) At the end I was presented with a choice to pick either the new or old configuration files for grub, lvm, /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart (whatever that is) and the NetworkManager. Is there any resource explaining what really was going on there? What the changes were for? I just retained the old files because I had no idea how the new stuff would affect me, and (I'm guessing) the new ones are still out there available but not being used yet, in case I want to change. I tried looking at the diff between them, and the side-by-side comparison was a joke, completely unreadable - even assuming I understood what the changes were for. Anyway if someone can point me at some notes about these config files I would appreciate it. I will dig around some more to see if I can find anything.

PaulBx
December 5th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Well I guess I will fumble through this. I have an idea what is going on, more or less. I have uninstalled firefox and sylpheed, and will merge what config files I need to merge.

Bucky Ball
December 5th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Just wondering why you have 'solved' at the beginning of your thread title??? I can remove that if you want, but if it is actually solved, please mark it that way by following the instructions in my signature.