PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I restart or Refresh Ubuntu 13.10 at a loss right now

keifus-rahn
December 2nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Ive got a problem my Freind set up Ubuntu 13.10 along side Windows8.1 for me and he set up a random name and password well i just changed my acct name and password and changed it to admin Now i cant log in its telling me incorect password ive tryed and tryed t still nothing so is there any way to reset Ubuntu to like it was just installed? or any way to fix that problem? I really dont want to lose 120Gb becuse of this :( any help will be apreciated.

Bucky Ball
December 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
Your friend doesn't remember the password and username? How did you change the account name and password? I'd suggest that was ignored and it is waiting for the password your friend chucked in.

keifus-rahn
December 2nd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Your friend doesn't remember the password and username? How did you change the account name and password? I'd suggest that was ignored and it is waiting for the password your friend chucked in.

I know what the password is ive been using that one he set up for a few days ive been trying both but it still wont let me log in. I changed the password and adminastrator setting in settings under accts and i just check how much space he set up and its 220GB so i guess i need a new computer sence i just lost that much space on my laptop

Bucky Ball
December 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Just install Ubuntu again. You don't need a new computer! Just wipe the drive and start again. Find your friend. ;)

jdeca57
December 2nd, 2013, 05:39 PM
I know what the password is ive been using that one he set up for a few days ive been trying both but it still wont let me log in. I changed the password and adminastrator setting in settings under accts and i just check how much space he set up and its 220GB so i guess i need a new computer sence i just lost that much space on my laptop
Could it be a problem with the keyboard layout? As a user of a Belgian keyboard I know how confusing that can be when you enter a password that is hidden...

keifus-rahn
December 4th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I did what you said and reinstaled :) But i have another issue now maybe you can help me out with??? " I don't think Ubuntu / linux likes me very much " :(

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
build-essential : Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.4.3) but it is not going to be installed
g++-multilib : Depends: cpp (>= 4:4.8.1-2ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gcc-multilib (>= 4:4.8.1-2ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.8.1-2ubuntu3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: g++-4.8-multilib (>= 4.8.1-4~) but it is not going to be installed
libghc-bzlib-dev : Depends: libghc-base-dev-4.6.0.1-8aa5d
Depends: libghc-bytestring-dev-0.10.0.2-4f932
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

E. Malfourmed line 57 source list

Bucky Ball
December 4th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Can you get to a desktop? If so, open a terminal and try these two commands one after the other, press enter in between, and copy paste any error messages you receive:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Bucky Ball
December 4th, 2013, 06:27 AM
* Posted as duplicate due to the lag monster. Disregard. *

keifus-rahn
December 4th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Can you get to a desktop? If so, open a terminal and try these two commands one after the other, press enter in between, and copy paste any error messages you receive:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradethen when iy was compleat a box poped up saying

after i did sudo apt-get This is what it returned= keith@keithrahn:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for keith:
E: Malformed line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse)
E: The list of sources could not be read.

and when i did sudo apt-upgrade It did alot of updating and this is the llast line of all the bla bla bla= update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-14-generic

then a box poped up saying= Sorry ubuntu 13.10 has experienced an internal error.
E:Malformed line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse), E:The list of sources could not be read., E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Bucky Ball
December 5th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Could you open a terminal and:

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

... and post the output here, please.

keifus-rahn
December 5th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Could you open a terminal and:

nano /etc/apt/sources.list

... and post the output here, please.

This is all that came up All blank. And i also Want to say that i really do appreciate all your help :D

TERMINAL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| " GNU nano 2.2.6 File: /ect/apt/sources.list Modified "
| | |
|
|
| [ New File ]
| ^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
| ^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Text^T To Spell
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now every five to ten min's im getting a pop up- E:Malformed line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse), E:The list of sources could not be read., E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
Should i change the topic of this thread?

Bucky Ball
December 5th, 2013, 06:29 AM
This problem:

E: Malformed line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

Has a fix here at Answer 1 down the page:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/285015/e-malformed-line-57-in-source-list-etc-apt-sources-list-dist-parse

As for your empty sources list, that is a complete mystery. Could you go to Software Sources (Update Manager and hit the Settings button in the bottom left corner). Does it have any repositories listed there? Are they unticked?

keifus-rahn
December 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
This problem:

E: Malformed line 57 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

Has a fix here at Answer 1 down the page:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/285015/e-malformed-line-57-in-source-list-etc-apt-sources-list-dist-parse

As for your empty sources list, that is a complete mystery. Could you go to Software Sources (Update Manager and hit the Settings button in the bottom left corner). Does it have any repositories listed there? Are they unticked?

Let me check But i wanted you to take a look at this for me this is whats on my drive i think somthing is wrong there to.

Partitions on drive C Using- "Mini Tool Partiton Wizard"

| capacity | | used |--- | unused |--- | File Sysyem |- | Type | | Status |

*: SYSTEM / 300.00 MB 45.15 MB 254.85 MB FAT32 GPT (efi system)

*: Recovery / 900.00 MB 338.78 MB 561.22 MB NTFS GPT (Reserve)

*:------------- / 128.00 MB 128.00 0 mb OTHER GPT (reserve)

C:------------ / 191.44 GB 49.87 GB 141.57 GB NTFS GPT (data p...)

*:------------ / 85.00 GB 6.59GB 78.41 GB EXT4 GPT NONE

*: ------------ / 350.00 MB 285.43 MB 64.57 NTFS GPT (RECOVERY)

*: Restore / 20.01 gb 9.19 GB 9.19 GB NTFS GPT (Recovery)