PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [Howto] Make Win8/Ubuntu dualboot work on a Lenovo U410

mar.derungs
November 30th, 2013, 02:32 PM
First of all: For this, I used "Boot-Repair", which is an excellent tool. I run it three times with different settings. Although none of these three attempts of solving my booting issues with Boot-Repair did work straightaway. But without Boot-Repair, I had never been able to make dual boot work in a stable way at all.
My English is not the best, sorry for that.

The starting situation
My notebook is a Lenovo U410, but maybe other Lenovo models and models from different manufacturers are set up in a way similar to the U410, so this How-To may help in those cases.

The notebook comes with a pre-installed Windows 8 and equipped with two harddisks. The first one (called "sda") is a 24 GB SSD drive, and the second ("sdb") is a 1 TB HDD drive.
For the SD card reader slot, I have a 128 GB "USB HDD" drive ("sdc") to plug in, where I installed Elementary OS (which is based on Ubuntu), in default (standard) way, i. e. MBR-bootable with GRUB, without any use of UEFI.

BIOS booting settings were:

"USB HDD" on top position of the booting device list, right before "Windows 8 bootloader"
Booting mode set to "Legacy support" (instead of UEFI) with the option "Legacy first" (instead of "UEFI first")

With this setup, booting Linux was possible whith the SD card plugged in, and booting Windows was possible when the SD card was not in the slot.

I could have been satisfied with this setup - if not both Windows and Linux sometimes did not start up - in this cases, it took one or two restarts for startup. Then I googled and found Boot-Repair an run it with its default (recommended) settings. Result: I couldn'd startup neither Windows nor Linux anymore. I was stuck. I had to start "googling" again, reading lots of different forum threads, learning about UEFI & co. ...

I try to make the long story as short as possible :-)

What I had to learn / to deal with - Part one: The preconditions of running Boot-Repair

The 24 GB SSD (with 4 partitions on it) is used for chaching purposes only (things like "Intel fast boot"). You don't need this drive, do not touch it.
In Windows, you have to disable fast boot (according to advices in different threads).
The HDD has 10 (!) different partitions on it. These four are interesting:

Device

Type

Label

Flags

/dev/sdb1

ntfs

WINRE_DRV

hidden, diag

/dev/sdb2

vfat

SYSTEM_DRV

hidden, boot

/dev/sdb3

vfat

LRS_ESP

hidden

/dev/sdb5

ntfs

Windows8_OS

-

In UEFI tutorials, you may read that an "ESP" partition is needed for UEFI booting. As you see, sdb3 has an ESP label here - but it is not the right partition in this case. Instead, sdb2 is the right one, as it has the boot flag.
Boot-Repair chose to use sdb2 in default setting, so id did the right thing. But since booting did not work, I tried using sdb3, which wasn't working neither. So in Boot-Repair, go to "advanced settings" and check the setting for the target UEFI partition according to the particular conditions of your partitions.
In the BIOS, activate UEFI as the booting method before running Boot-Repair.
I disabled Secure Boot in BIOS settings. But this option was hard to find:
When UEFI booting is unsuccessful, you are repeatedly prompted with a UEFI booting menu, containing a device list to choose from. This is your chance to enter the BIOS menu by pressing "TAB" and choose an entry called "setup".
You may not see any Secure Boot option unless you set an administrator password in the BIOS.
Even then, when entering the BIOS menu, you may see the Secure Boot options on time, but next time you don't. So retry several times.
Having finally disabled Secure Boot in the BIOS, be aware of the behaviour of Windows: The attempt to boot Windows - even when unsuccessful - or maybe because of that - may re-enable Secure Boot in BIOS. So double check this setting when in doubt.

After having run Boot-Repair (from a live system) in this state and having restarted your computer, you can expect that you get a proper GRUB menu and Linux is starting up successfully in UEFI mode. Windows still didn't start in my case.

What I had to learn / to deal with - part two: The corrections in GRUB settings, grub.cfg and UEFI files

When GRUB generates its boot menu, it does an OS-probing, resulting in Windows start menu entries (in /boot/grub/grub.cfg) like this:

menuentry "Windows 8 (loader) (on /dev/sdb5)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_gpt
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd1,gpt5)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root B496806696802B46
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}

This is for MBR booting and doesn't work in UEFI mode. Edit /etc/default/grub and insert (or uncomment) "GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true".
There are other menu entries, basically UEFI compliant, but they also do not work (resulting in errors like "no such device"). They look like this:

menuentry "Windows Boot UEFI recovery"{
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 227C-C21B
chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
}

This doesn't work because some modules are missing. Edit /etc/grub.d/25_custom. There you find the corresponding menu entry templates. Add four insmod lines like this:

menuentry "Windows Boot UEFI recovery" {

insmod part_gpt

insmod fat

insmod search_fs_uuid

insmod chain

chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi

}

Now edit the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom. There you find the menu entry template for starting up Windows in UEFI mode. It does not work either. Add the insmod lines. The entry must look like this:

menuentry "Windows 8 UEFI" {

insmod part_gpt

insmod fat

insmod search_fs_uuid

insmod chain

chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

}

In the line starting with "search" there is the ID number of the sdb2 partition. It should be correct, but to be sure, double-check it by taking a look into /etc/fstab. There you find a (new) entry for mounting the "sdb2" partition to /boot/efi. That line starts like " UUID=227C-C21B", and this number must be used in the grub menu entry line.
If the line starting with "search" does not look like shown above, but has something like "search --file" instead, you have to change it according to the given example.
Having corrected all this, do a "sudo update-grub" in a terminal. Reboot.
Now eventually Windows still doesn't start up - just the GRUB menu re-appears immediately after choosing the Windows start entry. If this is the case, you have to look into the directory "/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot".
Look for a file like "bkpbootmgfw.efi" This should be a backup of the original Windows UEFI startup file. Make an additional backup of this file and then rename it to "bootmgfw.efi" (like in the menu entry) - this will overwrite the file that was there before and that didn't work.

Having done all that - in my case - Windows finally!!! startet up without a glitch. I have now a fully working UEFI dual boot installation. The SDcard must stay in the reader slot, but that is what I wanted.I hope I have written down everything correctly. If not, let me know, an I will edit this post. Since I am far from being an expert in this matter, please note that I cannot give any support. The guys from the Boot-Repair team are perfect for this - just do not forget to donate.

EDIT:
Above, I wrote that one have to insert the following four "insmod" lines:

insmod part_gpt
insmod fat

insmod search_fs_uuid

insmod chain

I now have tested if Windows still starts up when I remove one of these lines; I tested them to remove one by one. Result: It seems that only the first line, "insmod part_gpt" is really needed. If it is missing, I got an error saying "no such device" and "file not found".
However, when I remove one of the other three lines, Windows starts up. I also tested by removing the other three lines all together (so that only "insmod part_gpt" remains), and, in my case, Windows did start up. Thus, you may try first to insert the first insmod line only, and when Windows starts up, you're done.