PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Experiences Lubuntu and openbox

thorbs
November 30th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Does anybody have experience with openbox on lubuntu? I have been using chrunchbang for some time, and was very happy with it. But the debian stable repositories had some drawbacks when it came to my work, that I was not able to overcome. So I was thinking of installing openbox and tint on Lubuntu. I am not technically enough to forsee any problems or challenges from this. Have anybody taken this route and can tell about there experiences?

thanks.

vasa1
November 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Does anybody have experience with openbox on lubuntu? I have been using chrunchbang for some time, and was very happy with it. But the debian stable repositories had some drawbacks when it came to my work, that I was not able to overcome. So I was thinking of installing openbox and tint on Lubuntu. I am not technically enough to forsee any problems or challenges from this. Have anybody taken this route and can tell about there experiences?
By default Openbox is part of Lubuntu. Of course, people can always change things, but out-of-the-box, Lubuntu is LXDE+Openbox. IOW, you don't have to install Openbox on Lubuntu :)

Re. tint, the equivalent default is lxpanel. I haven't used tint and so can't comment on that. See http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201010/page07.html for a still useful look at what lxpanel is about.

infectedorganism
December 2nd, 2013, 12:54 AM

thanks.

Currently I am running Lubuntu + Tint2 + Openbox and it is working well. While there is a Openbox session available, I am just using the default Lubuntu session. There have been no real issues setting things up to my liking and it has been fairly easy to do so.

I have played around with Crunchbang, Manjaro, and various other distros that come default with Openbox + Tint2, but I have yet to switch. Partly do to the Ubuntu repositories (all the software I want/use is available), my familiarity with apt, but also because my Lubuntu setup is working so well.

Give it a try. Again, it is fairly easy to get things set up the way you'd like and I have had zero issues yet (been running this Lubuntu + Tint 2 + Openbox combination for over a year) If you have any questions/trouble, I will try to help as best as I am able.

A quick screenshot of my basic desktop:
https://db.tt/W5ON3i2Z

thorbs
December 2nd, 2013, 07:00 PM
That looks very nice. I will try it out in the weekend. Chrunchbang is very nice but the stable repositories ended up being a problem. Archbang is also very nice, but is not stable enough for my use. So this seems like just what I am looking for. I want to try and install dmenu as well, which works very nice in #!