PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Parallel Zip 250 drive isn't working through parallel in 12.04

BlackMaxPhoto
November 30th, 2013, 07:53 AM
HELP!

I'm trying to access a Zip 250 Parallel in UBS 12.04, does ANYBODY know a method that WORKS?

I've consulted the Wizard of Google and tried three variations, so far, none of them have worked.

Either the system locks up or I get, "special device sd4 not found"

:confused:

rackit
November 30th, 2013, 03:37 PM
If it is an old zip drive, which it would be, does it work on other machines? It may just be bad,. I've had several fail over the years.

BlackMaxPhoto
November 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM
It doesn't show up in the file manager

rackit
November 30th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Here is an old article using gnome - adapt to unity and see what happens. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IomegaZIPDrive

BlackMaxPhoto
November 30th, 2013, 10:54 PM
UBS runs xfce ... not Unity

Tried that one already, the command:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi

... yields NO listing of the drive, that one was written to work under Ubuntu 6.06, so it was unlikey to still work under 12.04.

:popcorn:

:cool:

rackit
December 1st, 2013, 04:40 AM
I understand. Sometimes we can glean bits of the right trail to take from the older stuff. Sorry for wasting your time. :(

BlackMaxPhoto
December 4th, 2013, 09:30 PM
No time wasted, I had tried the old page prior to posting here ... still seeking a working solution.

Tried the 'jazip' package from the repository as well, no luck there either

tgalati4
December 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Find an old machine with a parallel port and put Dapper Drake (6.06) on it. I was able to access some old zip drives that I had with Dapper. Newer kernels dropped support for ISA bus and other legacy hardware, so it's no surprise that you are having problems.

BlackMaxPhoto
December 7th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Thanx

:popcorn: