PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Shared linux swap/windows hibernate parition in dual boot system

nikosd
November 30th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Hello all,

I am about to set up for dual boot, win7/ubuntu 13.10, or mint. Windows is pre installed. Setting up a windows virtual machine is not an option because HP does *not* provide warranty coverage if you remove the pre installed windows, which includes their "proprietary" diagnostic software (I already had to wipe out linux once to put windows back and get my dead battery replaced -one month of setting up ubuntu down the drain).

I am wondering if I can use the existing windows hibernation partition also as a swap partition for linux to save myself a few GB on my solid state drive (win7 will occupy 20 GB + 15 GB for recovery already!)

Current disk partitioning looks like:
System- 199 MB (primary NTFS)
C: 100 GB (primary NTFS)
D: 15 GB, Recovery (primary NTFS)
E: 101 MB, HP_TOOLS (Logical FAT32)
Hibernation 4GB (no file system listed)

If that is not an option, I will just remove the windows hibernation and not allow the poor sucker to hibernate from windows.

Thanks,

Nikos

tgalati4
November 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM
The swap partitions are not compatible, so you won't be saving any space. You could set up using a swap file instead of a swap partition in either Ubuntu or Windows. Not sure about Windows, but in linux the swap partition needs to be just slightly larger than RAM for successful hibernation.

oldfred
November 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Is this an Ultrabook with the small SSD?
I have seen users just install Ubuntu to hard drive and turn the Intel SRT back on, to install Ubuntu's / (root) to SSD and never use the SRT, and some have larger SSD and the SRT seems to only use part so they were able to do both.
Intel Smart Response Technology
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/chpsts/imsm
Some general info in post #3
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2071242

nikosd
December 15th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Hi guys,

sorry it took a while. The issue is not fully resolved, but I can tell you what I tried: Resize the windows hibernate partition from within windows (I resized it to minimum allowed of 512 MB). Then use gparted or equivalent to manage partitions, and proceed with linux install.

Windows would not allow me to resize the ntfs parittion to below 75 GB. I only have 126 GB on this ultrabook SSD, so I decided windows had to go. I left the HP_TOOLS FAT 32 partition in place, and will try to set up a virtual machine to use it. Hopefully all I need to diagnose hardware problems to HP's satisfaction is in there, but it's a far shot...

Currently the drive is partitioned as
/ 10 GB, ext4
/home, 112 GB, ext 3
HP_TOOLS, 101 MB, FAT32
swap, 4 GB, swap

mint works fine with this, I will update this thread again when/if I get HP_TOOLS working from a windows virtual machine.

I am marking this as closed for now.