PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can you edit and apply ATI power scheme BEFORE an install?

anderssoncolin
November 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I have a HP Dv6 laptop, and I can’t install Ubuntu on it.

Actually, I can’t install Debian, Linux Mint or any modern Linux distro either. I suppose that I could try some command line version out there, but what would the point of that be? This laptop has a hybrid graphics system with ATI Radeon Mobile 5650 and ATI Radeon Mobile 4200. It also has 4Gb of RAM. I am trying to set up a dual boot system. The laptop already has Windows 7 on it.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3834MB RAM

Card name: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9712)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68C1)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

The reason why I can’t install Ubuntu (or any of those other distros) is, from what I gather having googled to see what the problem could be, that the hybrid graphics of my laptop is a problem. It seems to be a problem across all the Linux distros, so Ubuntu is certainly not unique in that way. This is not supposed to be a whine. I hope you don’t take it that way. I just want to explain the background.

What I have done myself to try to cool the laptop down is:

* I have cleaned the fan as far as I can without actually opening the laptop and voiding my warranty. This means blowing compressed air through the vents and holes in my laptop.
* I have taken out all my ice packs from the freezer, and have put the laptop on it.
* I have scoured the net to find a solution, and I think I’ve found one. I should edit the power scheme of the AMD drivers. I should set it to low.

However, Ubuntu will still only get about halfway through an install before the temperature reach 90 or 100 C. The laptop protection in the BIOS shuts the computer down, and I have to fix my boot loader.

So, TL;DR: is there any way to edit the power saving scheme of the ATI graphics in Ubuntu before an install? I mean, edit the install script in a way that the power saving scheme is used by the system when it boots from my USB.

What I want to do is to set the ATI power scheme to low power. Hopefully then I'll be able to install Ubuntu. Thank you in advance.

heir4c
November 30th, 2013, 12:29 AM
And what if you use the "nomodeset" or "xforcevesa" boot-parameter?

anderssoncolin
December 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. I'm a linux noob in most respects. My research led me to the solution outlined in my OP.

What does those commands do? How do I change boot parameters?

heir4c
December 1st, 2013, 06:46 PM
When you boot with the live-cd/dvd or live-usb you get some purple background with 2 icons at the bottom. When you see this icons than you click quick on a key (any key you like).
Than you can choose your Language. After that you can click on F6. And there you see the nomodeset. Use the space-key to check the line.
See also here:
(Scroll a little bit down untill you see: "How to enable kernel options on the livecd (before install)")
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132