PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 6.06 Is Current Desktop Linux Cham

arunsub
July 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Ubuntu 6.06 Is Current Desktop Linux Champ (http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060718/tc_zd/183685) as per PC Magazine.

Rackerz
July 19th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Well deserved IMO.

x64Jimbo
July 19th, 2006, 06:18 PM
w00t
That's all I have to say. ;)

aysiu
July 19th, 2006, 06:26 PM
This latest Ubuntu release, which became available in June, has won our ardor with a tight focus on desktop usability; an extremely active, helpful and organized user community; and a software installation and management framework that's unsurpassed on any OS platform. I'll agree with the helpful user community (hell, that's why I'm using Ubuntu and not Mepis), but I don't see how it's software management is any different from other Debian-based distros. Don't they all use dpkg/Synaptic?

And isn't the "desktop usability" more about Gnome/KDE/XFCE than the distribution itself?

x64Jimbo
July 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I'll agree with the helpful user community (hell, that's why I'm using Ubuntu and not Mepis), but I don't see how it's software management is any different from other Debian-based distros. Don't they all use dpkg/Synaptic?

And isn't the "desktop usability" more about Gnome/KDE/XFCE than the distribution itself?
I think it's probably less based on the package manager software, and more on how the distro maintainers take care of the repos and the default sources.list.
I've had many problems with synaptic and such before I tried Ubuntu. I almost never touch the command line for installing programs anymore.

T700
July 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Nice review. Balanced and fairly complete, for a general audience. I think I'll have to send this to a few people.

Paul

aysiu
July 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I think it's probably less based on the package manager software, and more on how the distro maintainers take care of the repos and the default sources.list.
I've had many problems with synaptic and such before I tried Ubuntu. I almost never touch the command line for installing programs anymore.
Ah, that makes more sense. Of course, then Mepis will be reaping those benefits, as Mepis 6 will be using the Ubuntu repositories.

monergist
July 19th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Good. :)
I tried working with linux several years ago, and it was a bad experience (which was just as much my fault and ignorance as it was difficulty of linux). I hadn't even batted an eye at linux until I ran into Ubuntu and tried out the live cd. It got me hooked and allowed me to escape from the clutches of microsoft whereas if I hadn't tried it could have been years before I ran into another distro (if ever!) that made me give linux a second look.

x64Jimbo
July 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Ah, that makes more sense. Of course, then Mepis will be reaping those benefits, as Mepis 6 will be using the Ubuntu repositories.
Wow. That sounds like a good idea. More people using the packages, more people to report bugs and get stuff stable. Linux is gaining ground fast!