PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 and FreeIPA

andrewprecht06
November 26th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Hi all,
I have installed the freeipa client and sssd from: ppa:freeipa/ppa and ppa:sssd/updates. With a little work, I got it to install, all but one of the SSH host keys (The host_mod: 2.58 client incompatible with 2.46 server, issue) That's OK I'll deal with that later.

I need some help getting my Ubuntu 12.04 client to use the IPA server for login. I can retrieve user account information from the ipa server at my Ubuntu workstation with the command: sudo id username However, when I try to login with this same username I get a: Invalid password please try again.

I have tried this with several user accounts in the IPA database, however I can only log in with local accounts.

Any help is appreciated.

andrewprecht06
November 27th, 2013, 04:19 AM
No replies:mad:
Has anyone got Ubuntu to work with FreeIPA? Goggling the subject, it doesn't look promising.
Seems like a deal-breaker for Ubuntu in the enterprise...

andrewprecht06
December 2nd, 2013, 06:21 PM
Here is what I'm seeing in the /var/log/auth.log

Dec 2 08:58:12 ubuntuap lightdm: PAM adding faulty module: pam_sss.so
Dec 2 08:58:17 ubuntuap lightdm: pam_succeed_if(lightdm:auth): requirement "user ingroup nopasswdlogin" not met by user "andrew"
Dec 2 08:58:25 ubuntuap lightdm: pam_unix(lightdm:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost= user=andrew
Dec 2 08:58:27 ubuntuap lightdm: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_sss.so): /lib/security/pam_sss.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

If I run: sudo id andrew
I get: uid=188000005(andrew) gid=188000005(andrew) groups=188000005(andrew),188000000(admins)

So, It looks to me that PAM is not using the FreeIPA server for authentication.

Can anyone assist?

andrewprecht06
December 3rd, 2013, 11:39 PM
I've done some poking around on my Ubuntu client and found this interesting.

From my Ubuntu client if I try to su (substitute user) to a user account on the IPA server (let's call it ipauser) I am promoted for a password. With the correct password I still get the response "su: Authentication failure"

If I try to su to a made-up name, I get the response "Unknown id:" So, it is safe to assume that the Ubuntu client is able to communicate with the IPA server to check for a valid user name. But, for some reason the password is not validated.

Now, If I run: sudo su ipauser I am prompted for the password of the local user I'm logged in as and after that a home directory is created for the ipauser, and I'm logged in as ipauser. If I run sudo as ipauser I am prompted for the ipsuser password, and that always responses with "Sorry, try again."

Any clue as to why the Ubuntu client can check for user names on the IPA server but not passwords?

imotor
December 5th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Have you tried a Fedora 17 client to auth to your free-ipa server? That at least might rule out a mis-configuration on the server.

I sincerely hope you get this working–we are planning for a similar setup in our network.

Lee_Machine
February 26th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Any luck with this? I'm in the process of setting up an isolated Linux only network with RHEL5/6 Fedora 18/19/20 and Ubuntu 12.04+ and would like to use FreeIPA client. It works just fine on RHEL and Fedora but not Ubuntu.

I'm tempted to just setup a Windows DC and continue using PBIS to login with Windows Domain credentials like we are now.

I don't have to time to dive into the nuts and bolts of setting up openLDAP and Kerberos whereas IPA is supposed to do all the work for me.

Lee_Machine
February 26th, 2014, 06:13 AM
After much tinkering and rebooting I got it to work but the ipa-client process crashes sometimes.

I'll have to reproduce and document.

I write a howto and post it here

kill4killin
April 1st, 2014, 09:04 PM
I realize this thread is a few weeks old now but hopefully by posting this someone, maybe OP, will see this and find it useful...

I'm running FreeIPA on a Redhat server and authenticating a mix of clients: Redhat, Fedora and Ubuntu. I've gotten this to work on Ubuntu using the following configuration files (sensitive information redacted).

/etc/sssd/sssd.conf:
The majority of this file was generated using the "ipa-client-install" command. I then modified the "ipa_server" line to remove "_srv_," and added the "ipa_hostname =" line.

[domain/example.domain.com]

cache_credentials = True
krb5_store_password_if_offline = True
ipa_domain = example.domain.com
id_provider = ipa
auth_provider = ipa
access_provider = ipa
ipa_hostname = hostname.example.domain.com
chpass_provider = ipa
ipa_server = ipaserver.example.domain.com
ldap_tls_cacert = /etc/ipa/ca.crt
[sssd]
services = nss, pam, ssh
config_file_version = 2

domains = example.domain.com
[nss]

[pam]

[sudo]

[autofs]

[ssh]

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
The below file is incomplete and probably still contains a lot of unecessary information since I'm still working on migrating from our old LDAP server to IPA but the above file is currently in production and working.

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

# pre_auth-client-config # passwd: compat
passwd: files sss
#passwd: files ldap [NOTFOUND=return] db
# pre_auth-client-config # group: compat
group: files sss
#group: files ldap [NOTFOUND=return] db
# pre_auth-client-config # shadow: compat
shadow: files ldap [NOTFOUND=return] db

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks: files

protocols: db files
services: db files
ethers: db files
rpc: db files

# pre_auth-client-config # netgroup: nis
netgroup: nis sss

If there are any other file examples that might be useful to anyone trying to solve this issue, I'm happy to post them. I believe these are the only really relevant ones. I've also got the following ldap/ipa/auth packages installed, not all of them may be necessary as I'm currently migrating from using openLDAP to IPA:

freeipa-client
nscd
nslcd
libnss-ldapd
libpam-ldapd
nss-updatedb
libnss-db
libpam-ccreds

EDIT:
OH! I also forgot to mention that we have the following line in /etc/pam.d/common-account:

session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022
and the a file in /usr/share/pam-configs/my_mkhomedir containing the following:

Name: activate mkhomedir
Default: yes
Priority: 900
Session-Type: Additional
Session:
required pam_mkhomedir.so umask=0022 skel=/etc/skel