PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited about some changes happening with FF?

grier-devon
November 26th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I was watching the Linux Action Show last night and they where talking about the new edition of FF coming to the nightly builds, they did a demo on it and showed how it now renders faster then Chrome. This is not to start a flame war between Chrome and FF just seeing what some of you are excited about the new release and does anyone run the FF nightly builds?

https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2013/11/australis-is-landing-in-firefox-nightly/

help_me2
November 26th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I am now entrenched in the google ecosystem, so chrome will be it for me. Although I would like to see FF get faster, as I could use it as a backup browser.

mikodo
November 26th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Cool.

Go Firefox.

:p

lykwydchykyn
November 26th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Mozilla has a great mission that is not shared by any other major browser vendor, I'm glad that firefox is keeping up and remaining relevant. I would like to see the flash issue get worked out, though it looks like shumway has some good momentum behind it.

sdansmith
November 27th, 2013, 02:28 AM
I had given up on FF a few years ago and moved to Opera. Then I bought my MacBook Pro and almost exclusively used Safari. I'm extremely excited to hear about changes to FF that will make it faster and better. I can't wait to try it out!

Dragonbite
November 27th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I'm all for Firefox to continue even if just based on their principal and from not being tied-in with any companies.

I do use Google products most of the time, and Chrome/Chromium has some advantages over Firefox but I want to see Firefox stay in and keep swinging. Not only does it push Chrome and other browsers to improve to compete, it is a poster-boy that FOSS can succeed.

I remember when Microsoft was stuck at IE6 and why? Because there was no competition.

Then Firefox came around and started eating IE's lunch. This was the first step of the "awakening of Microsoft" and proof of Microsoft's waning influence. Microsoft sat around and did nothing for too long, became complacent and did not innovate. Firefox was the first to make Microsoft aware of this.

sffvba[e0rt
November 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I tried the latests nightly (also after watching the LAS) and it is looking good.

dbass81
November 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Just throwing in my two cents. Firefox always seemed more bloated than Google Chrome, but it is catching up. I like some of the changes they have done with the UI and themes over the years. What I like about Firefox over Google Chrome is it seems more up-to-date (nightly builds) and better open development.

sammiev
November 27th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Been using it for a few days now and it's pretty quick.

motang
November 28th, 2013, 12:59 AM
I sure am, I am actually using it right now. I have added the daily ppa and switched over to using it full time. I love it, it's fast (renders pages much faster than stable version of FF), and I love the UI!

I is happy! :D

Frogs Hair
November 28th, 2013, 04:37 AM
I haven't used nightly since 19 or so , I just installed and really like it so far. It is speedy and the icons are much cleaner and not so cartoon like.

grier-devon
November 28th, 2013, 05:37 AM
After I get my college homework done I am going to give it a shot. I was unsure if I should but many of you seem to be reporting it being stable so I will give it a shot and let you all know how I feel about it.

sammiev
November 28th, 2013, 06:12 AM
After I get my college homework done I am going to give it a shot. I was unsure if I should but many of you seem to be reporting it being stable so I will give it a shot and let you all know how I feel about it.

Usually it's stable, but I like a little breakage. :)

vasa1
November 28th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I'll wait. Using Firefox beta is as adventurous as I'd care to be.

grier-devon
November 30th, 2013, 02:53 AM
I'll wait. Using Firefox beta is as adventurous as I'd care to be.

Well it seems pretty stable, I have been using it for about twenty four hours now and feels flawless. have not had a single hiccup, though I am not knocking on wood just to be safe. The only think I found funny is how it uses different icons. I have Windows loaded in a VM for school purposes and I use Pale Moon since I have had problems in the past with Firefox, the FF nightly icon looks like the Pale Moon icon just darker. Hopefully more people give this a try.

Linuxratty
November 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I can't say I'm excited..Curious for sure. I prefer to wait till the big bugs are squished and Ubuntu sends the next version to me.
We can't all be adventurous.

grier-devon
November 30th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I can't say I'm excited..Curious for sure. I prefer to wait till the big bugs are squished and Ubuntu sends the next version to me.
We can't all be adventurous.

I understand as I can see to some this may not fit there needs. Though for those of you who are wanting to give it a try.....

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-trunk

If you are worried about FF breaking this will essentially install the nightly FF as a separate application. So on the off chance "nightly" was to break where it was unable to be used or was just driving you nuts then you still have "Firefox" untouched on your machine to use.

vasa1
November 30th, 2013, 06:10 PM
If you are worried about FF breaking this will essentially install the nightly FF as a separate application. So on the off chance "nightly" was to break where it was unable to be used or was just driving you nuts then you still have "Firefox" untouched on your machine to use.
Does it create a separate profile in ~/.mozilla?

sammiev
November 30th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Does it create a separate profile in ~/.mozilla?

Yes it does.

grier-devon
December 1st, 2013, 04:30 AM
Yes it does.

thank you for posing that.

vasa1
December 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM
... the FF nightly icon looks like ...
I think the icon for nightly builds is nearly unchanged since version 4 was released.

I've got it going now, very nearly exactly how I want it --- minimal and boring :)

joyousjake
December 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Using ubuntu so much made me become attached to Firefox. I use Chrome on my iPhone because Firefox isn't available.

vasa1
December 4th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I did need to install one add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/prospector-oneLiner/ to get everything of the "chrome" in one row.

tulisqiya
December 4th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I tried a few days, not bad

SantaFe
December 6th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I really like this version! However, I found out there is another Firefox nightly build out there called Holly, which is Firefox 28, but with the classic theme. No chrome tabs. It's here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2013-12-05-04-02-03-holly/

Wonder if mozilla is gonna decide on one or the other by final release date. ;)

Resistent
December 6th, 2013, 05:42 AM
I was watching the Linux Action Show last night and they where talking about the new edition of FF coming to the nightly builds, they did a demo on it and showed how it now renders faster then Chrome. This is not to start a flame war between Chrome and FF just seeing what some of you are excited about the new release and does anyone run the FF nightly builds?

https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/2013/11/australis-is-landing-in-firefox-nightly/

I wait a bit longer. let's fix them some bugs. Then I don't get them.

vasa1
December 6th, 2013, 05:43 AM
I understand that Firefox 28 will still be the conventional one. Australis may make it to Firefox 29.

Resistent
December 6th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I understand that Firefox 28 will still be the conventional one. Australis may make it to Firefox 29.

then maybe electro violin is also something for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxIOUJ7by6U

ops, that was your signature :-) :-)

HansKisaragi
December 6th, 2013, 05:12 PM
It looks identical to chrome.. nothing exciting about that..

craig10x
December 6th, 2013, 09:07 PM

And it still works and otherwise looks like the old Firefox (like when you go into settings, etc.)...it didn't excite me enough to want to move over to it from Google Chrome (which i am very happy with)...
Except for somewhat more chrome like looking tabs and better use of space in the top panel part of it, virtually identically to the old Firefox...so any firefox fans who were concerned about major radical changes have nothing to be concerned about...

vasa1
December 7th, 2013, 03:52 AM
... so any firefox fans who were concerned about major radical changes have nothing to be concerned about...
Don't know about fans, but there are users who are concerned (https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/firefox-dev/2013-November/001142.html) (and that is a moderated mailing list).

I tried Australis for a couple of days and one difference (for me) is that I lose one row of web content to the UI unless I use an addon. Other changes can be adjusted by css (stylesheets) or by using the Customize panel/pane/pop-up/whatever.

Others have their own issues depending on how they've set things up. Let's see how things play out. Still very early days. Bringing Australis to the nightly channel does increase the user base and feedback.

monkeybrain20122
December 7th, 2013, 09:51 AM
It is funny to see all the hate against the curve tabs on Mozilla's page and that is only a fraction of it (many posts have been banned apparently for ranting and cursing). The drama of some people reminds me of the Unity hate. I really have no issue if FF is looking more like Chrome in terms of the shape of the tabs as long as it is still FF under the hood (easily extendabiluty throughaddons, tab management, FOSS etc) Chrome's interface is not bad and quite functional.

vasa1
December 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
It's easy to focus on the "hate" but there are real issues as well :)

The link I provided is to a post by B Smedburg, a person who is rather highly-placed in Mozilla.

Linuxratty
December 7th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Using ubuntu so much made me become attached to Firefox. I use Chrome on my iPhone because Firefox isn't available.
Fire Fox broke earlier this year, so I had to use Ubuntu to get a copy of Chrome so I'd have a working browser.
I use Chrome only if FF breaks or if there is a fun thing you can only do in Chrome,like the Hobbit game.

I agree. All this minimalist stuff is getting rather off putting in my way of thinking.

rewyllys
December 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Excited? Yes!

I'd switched to Chrome as my default browser about six months ago, but since last week I've returned to using Firefox as my default. I now prefer it to Chrome.

grier-devon
December 9th, 2013, 08:38 PM
The only thing I will say negative about chrome since I so still find it a good web browser is sometime it seems to really slow down and it has been very buggy for me. The other day I sent a email through the portal at my college and every time I do chrome blue screens on me, I have only had this problem in Ubuntu 13.10 and I remember there was some issues installing chrome when 13.04 first came out. To me it sounds like google is not doing a good job keeping up with optimizing chrome for each release of Ubuntu.

Now my only question for FF is do we know what plans there will be when the current Linux flash plugin goes belly up? Is there any work on a open source flash plugin? I know about "spark" but the last time I used that it was only good for youtube. I would hate to go back to the days of no flash as there are some websites I use which require that plugin.

SantaFe
December 11th, 2013, 03:17 AM
They're working on this: http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/03/shumway-mozillas-html5-based-flash-player-replacement-lands-in-firefox-nightly/

Shumway, sounds like Pawn Stars Chumlee's Younger brother. ;)

BTW: I tried the race car demo, let's just say it's a GOOD thing I take the bus! :D

help_me2
December 11th, 2013, 04:12 AM

I'm a Pawn Stars fan. That's funny. Let's hope it's better than Chumlee. To be honest, I think Chrome is doing well keeping up flash.

philinux
December 11th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Firefox 26 arriving soon with click to play java instead of always on.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/12/firefox-26-released?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

Dragonbite
December 11th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Firefox 26 arriving soon with click to play java instead of always on.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/12/firefox-26-released?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

That's good to hear. I set all of my Firefoxes and Chromes for click-to-play. It not only keeps unwanted plugins from playing automatically, it speeds up webpages because I don't have to wait for all of these trinkets to load first!

philinux
December 11th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Just got the update to FF 26

grier-devon
December 11th, 2013, 07:24 PM
They're working on this: http://techcrunch.com/2013/10/03/shumway-mozillas-html5-based-flash-player-replacement-lands-in-firefox-nightly/

BTW: I tried the race car demo, let's just say it's a GOOD thing I take the bus! :D

well I am glad there will be a work around for this, I was worried I would have to use chrome in the future.

monkeybrain20122
December 11th, 2013, 10:58 PM
Just updated to FF 26. It is fast! Actually it has been faster than Chrome for a long time if you have more than several tabs saved (I have 100+) and FF launches in an instant.All these talks about FF being slow and bloated dated back to FF 3.6 or something.

motang
December 14th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Been using it since the nightly came out, and I love it.

vasa1
December 14th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Been using it since the nightly came out, and I love it.

Can't say I love it or hate it but I'm using nightly (UX) for the past three days. I even tried the multiple processes bit (browser.tabs.remote set to true in a clean profile) for a while.

I have Firefox 27 (beta) as a backup though this nightly hasn't broken (for me) as yet.

sammiev
December 14th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Actually I have been using nightly for a few years and update a few times a week and can not remember been down and out. I also keep the stable on hand but never really had to use it.

vasa1
December 14th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Actually I have been using nightly for a few years and update a few times a week and can not remember been down and out. I also keep the stable on hand but never really had to use it.
I update whenever an update is pushed out and that's nearly daily but my nightly is direct from Mozilla and so the updates are mostly smaller (delta) unlike the updates via the ppa which pushes full downloads each time.
My beta is also direct from Mozilla and that too is updated differentially.

sammiev
December 14th, 2013, 03:59 AM
I update whenever an update is pushed out and that's nearly daily but my nightly is direct from Mozilla and so the updates are mostly smaller (delta) unlike the updates via the ppa which pushes full downloads each time.
My beta is also direct from Mozilla and that too is updated differentially.

Just may have to look into that. Thanks! :)

Frogs Hair
December 18th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I don't know about anyone else. but video quality is better than ever for the nightly build on my computer. Flash and the webm samples tested look great.

linuxyogi
December 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I dont use nightly builds coz I am worried they are are not secure. I am not sure though.