PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] opensource driver; better 3D support in 64-bit instalation, then 32.bit

tomislav.nikolic00
November 25th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Hello, dearest community. It's been a month or more since I've started using linux; turned my older PC in a renewed general purpose workstation and a media center, running opensource video drivers on a 8 yo video card (ATI Radeon 9550) and it's performing amazingly well.
And I experimented a lot on my Dell Inspiron 1100 and came up with a minimal Debian installation, with LXDE and I'm impressed how well it performs after some tweaking (and removing the 4 inches thick layer of dust from the cooler).

That would be my experience with linux in short.

Now, my problem is; I've tried a few distributions on this PC, as well as the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Xubuntu, even though I only have 1,5 gigs of ram. Both perform well but I noticed the 32-bit version has poorer 3d performance, such as in screensavers. Videos perform equally well.

Is it ok to stick with a 64-bit version of *buntu even though I don't need to, and/or is there some reason I would be better off with a 32-bit installation?