PDA

View Full Version : SSD and HDD confusing

weber-jonathan
November 25th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Hello!

I've read some crazy **** what can go wrong when using SSD, and, since I just got my first laptop with an ssd, I just wanted to confirm what is the right procedure to go on now.

I have installed Windows 8 on my system and I am completly annoyed. Windows 7 was really ok, but this new metro-thing is just unusable with no touch-screen. So I want to go back to Ubuntu, which I was using some years ago. I am currently downloading Ubuntu 13.10.

My computer has an 1TB sSATA HDD and an Intel 32GB SSD. Since the HDD is somehow loud (I installed Windows in it) I would like to install the pure system on the 32GB SSD and use the 1TB HDD for data. I would like to keep windows for compatibility. First of all: Is this a good idea? Will it work? Is 32GB enough? What about software I install later?

The much more important question: How and where do I have to configure the SSD? Because I have read some things about Write-Blocks and that these blocks should have the same sice and the OS write blocks? Guides I found offer different solutions for this but are not identically. What is the way to go for Ubuntu 13.10 and my system?

Thanks in advance for every help.

oldfred
November 25th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Hard drive should not be loud???

All the new partitioning tools start partitions on 8 sector boundaries for compatibility with SSD and new 4K drives.
You just need to check that the start of all partitions is divisible by 8.

Was/Is this an Ultrabook? With UEFI and gpt partitioned drives?

Those with Ultrabooks have to turn off the Intel SRT and remove RAID meta-data from both drives. Some just install Ubuntu to hard drive and a few with larger SSD like yours install / (root) to SSD and /home or data partition(s) to hard drive.

Post this from live installer terminal, it will show current partitions:

sudo parted -l

fantab
November 26th, 2013, 07:55 AM
By installing classic shell (http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026719/review-classic-shell-brings-the-start-menu-to-windows-8-for-free.html) you can make your Win8 feel like Win7.
Seriously, if you think your HDD is loud get it checked, perhaps you need a replacement.

Like the post above asks, boot with you ubuntu DVD/USB (aka ubuntu live), "Try Ubuntu without Installing", open Terminal [ctrl+alt+T] and post the output of the above mentioned command:

sudo parted -l

NOTE: Use only Windows partitioning tools for manage Windows partitions and Only Linux partitioning tools like, Gparted, to manage Linux Partitions.