PDA

View Full Version : Check this out: Freespire

shuttleworthwannabe
July 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I wonder what made them go this route? check it out here: http://www.freespire.org/

Rackerz
July 19th, 2006, 05:06 PM
This will probably get moved to Other Linux Talk.

I think they need publicity for Linspire or CNR because their isn't enough people using them. Just me though ;).

Brunellus
July 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM
moved to Other Linux Talk.

Adamant1988
July 19th, 2006, 09:04 PM
This was created to speed up Linspire's devlopment.
It's the same relationship as
OpenSuse > Suse
Fedora > Red Hat.

Linspire is a good distro at heart, it's hardware detection is excellent, but the development is painfully slow and everything in it is outdated. Freespire is their attempt to offload some of the work onto the community and take that customize, stabilize, and package and sell it.

rattlerviper
July 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM
This will probably get moved to Other Linux Talk.

I think they need publicity for Linspire or CNR because their isn't enough people using them. Just me though ;).

Well at this point in time Freespire=Linspire+terminal
They have no synaptic, it doesn't even install open office by default. If you decide you like Freespire and want software they are almost assured thast you will subscribe to CNR. Why? I know you might be saying you could just apt-get, but the sort of people this will apeal to(fresh out of windows) will have no clue how to do this and thier wiki and forums give you no clue. I tried to apt-get synaptic and it came back file not found, so I thought must have been due to the repositories getting used. So can we really expect that someone who that distro apeals to to actually pull up thier rescource list, edit it, apt-get synaptic (all without any help from the Freespire site) just to be able to have a GUI to install software? No they will just drop the $20 a year on CNR! If they were willing to do even a little bit more they would probably use UBUNTU, Mepsis, Xandros, or one of the other easy(but not quite so spoonfed) distros. It even apears to be an advertisment for CNR, 2 icons in the "system tray" one merrily flashing all day long calling out to you buy CNR, buy CNR.](*,)

On the other hand this will probably all change once the community gets thier hands on it. I suspect they will soon add synaptic. I suspect that as more people begin to use it the forums will begin to actually aswer questions. I suspect that within 1 year of the actual release date(not beta) we will se a formidable OS giving people ease if they want it and the ability to "ramp it up".

The preceding statements were my opinion and my opinion only. I suspect that many of you will not agree. I don't want to start a flame war. Just trying to point out that Freespire is actually Linspire at this point in time. After all the excitment (I was on thier mailing list) what was served out was Linspire with a teminal. Yes it was disapointing, as I thought it might be a way to get my brother and sister to switch to Linux. Everyone else in the family, Wife, children, mother, father, already have been switched(to Ubuntu);)

shuttleworthwannabe
July 20th, 2006, 11:39 AM
What attracted me to this was that it was all debian. The screenshots look impressive, but I am more of a less -eye-candy kinda-guy. Any way, it is good to know this, rattler.

The other one i am eying right now is zenwalk. I should be able to downlaod this once I have my internet connection sorted out here at home...too much trouble with dial up!

Hg80
July 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
known about this for some time, but if it helps with bringing people over to linux then good luck to the project

tseliot
July 20th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Well at this point in time Freespire=Linspire+terminal
They have no synaptic, it doesn't even install open office by default. If you decide you like Freespire and want software they are almost assured thast you will subscribe to CNR. Why? I know you might be saying you could just apt-get, but the sort of people this will apeal to(fresh out of windows) will have no clue how to do this and thier wiki and forums give you no clue. I tried to apt-get synaptic and it came back file not found, so I thought must have been due to the repositories getting used. So can we really expect that someone who that distro apeals to to actually pull up thier rescource list, edit it, apt-get synaptic (all without any help from the Freespire site) just to be able to have a GUI to install software? No they will just drop the $20 a year on CNR! If they were willing to do even a little bit more they would probably use UBUNTU, Mepsis, Xandros, or one of the other easy(but not quite so spoonfed) distros. It even apears to be an advertisment for CNR, 2 icons in the "system tray" one merrily flashing all day long calling out to you buy CNR, buy CNR.](*,)
I read a deadly easy guide about how to install Synaptic on Linspire a year ago. I'm sure it works on Freespire too.

CNR can come for free if you contribute (read more on their website).

The preceding statements were my opinion and my opinion only. I suspect that many of you will not agree. I don't want to start a flame war. Just trying to point out that Freespire is actually Linspire at this point in time.
You're right. Kevin Carmony himself said that Freespire +1 will be the real community project, more up-to-date, etc.

After all the excitment (I was on thier mailing list) what was served out was Linspire with a teminal. Yes it was disapointing, as I thought it might be a way to get my brother and sister to switch to Linux. Everyone else in the family, Wife, children, mother, father, already have been switched(to Ubuntu);)
This is the guide I was talking about:
http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/163/74/

Anyhow you should use Freespire's repos instead of Debian Sid's.
Therefore you should take that guide just as an example.

And of course I see your point. Ubuntu is my favourite distro.

RAV TUX
July 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM
What attracted me to this was that it was all debian. The screenshots look impressive, but I am more of a less -eye-candy kinda-guy. Any way, it is good to know this, rattler.

The other one i am eying right now is zenwalk. I should be able to downlaod this once I have my internet connection sorted out here at home...too much trouble with dial up!

I found Zenwalk a big disappointment. I don't remember why, it was too many Distros ago, but I wrote on the CD "SUCKS!".

I honestly test too many Distros out to keep track of, I think I am going to start keeping a journal.

shuttleworthwannabe
July 21st, 2006, 06:58 AM
thanks yozef. I realise this is offtopic. Well, I was introduced to zenwalk right here (ubuntu cafe) as a good alternative to xubuntu (very good resource handling on low end machine). Is there any thruth in that then? I have a fairly old (PIII, 1GHz, 256RAM, 4200RPM HDD Thinkpad) that chocks with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but is fairly ok with xubuntu.

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
What's the idea with renaming gaim to Instant Messenger? - http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=699&slide=9&title=freespire+beta+1+screenshots

Also, every single application menu has a link to CNR in it. There are even folders called "My computer" and "My Documents". If people want this, they should use windows.

RAV TUX
July 21st, 2006, 11:30 PM
thanks yozef. I realise this is offtopic. Well, I was introduced to zenwalk right here (ubuntu cafe) as a good alternative to xubuntu (very good resource handling on low end machine). Is there any thruth in that then? I have a fairly old (PIII, 1GHz, 256RAM, 4200RPM HDD Thinkpad) that chocks with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but is fairly ok with xubuntu.

Have you tried Puppy Linux? this might be good for you.

http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

kripkenstein
July 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
What's the idea with renaming gaim to Instant Messenger? - http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=699&slide=9&title=freespire+beta+1+screenshots

Also, every single application menu has a link to CNR in it. There are even folders called "My computer" and "My Documents". If people want this, they should use windows.

Windows costs more, and this is far more secure. So it's a good option for people to have. I'll keep using Ubuntu, but for people that only know Windows (and barely that), Freespire (or Linspire, or MEPIS) might be useful.

bruce89
July 22nd, 2006, 03:09 PM
Windows costs more, and this is far more secure. So it's a good option for people to have. I'll keep using Ubuntu, but for people that only know Windows (and barely that), Freespire (or Linspire, or MEPIS) might be useful.

I'd have thought Windows would be better in these cases.

Zarephath
July 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
The reason you think there is no synaptic is due to the fact that the command is: sudo apt-get INSTALL synaptic that is why you are thinking there isn't a synaptic. I just installed it in my VmWare server appliance of Freespire.

rattlerviper
July 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Hey Shuttleworthwannabe, if you like eyecandy you should check out Dream Linux. To my eye it is the "sweetest" distro I have yet to see. Unfortunanly being as inexperienced at wireless networking in Linux as I am I couldn't figure out how to get my wifi card to work.

Tseliot I always try to follow your posts, as you always have great info and intresting comments. I hope you didn't take that post as a grump towards Freespire. I saw thatr they offered free CNR for those who contribute, just not sure what I could possibly contribute, since I'm not very good writing code. I also saw on thier website that you are supposed to be able to get a 30 day free trial without giving them any credit card info, but when I tried to sighn up it was for 15 days and they wanted a credit card? I'm not really comfrotable giving out credit card info for subscription type service unless I know I'm going to want it. Had a bad time with AOL getting them to stop my subscription and they continued to bill for 3 months past when I wanted it.

Zarephath, I tried sudo apt-get install synaptic as the command and still get a message that file cannot be found??? Not sure if that is what I tried in the begining or if I forgot the command(sometimes I wonder if anyone can remember ALL the commands). Not sure what is going on.](*,)

RAV TUX
July 23rd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Hey Shuttleworthwannabe, if you like eyecandy you should check out Dream Linux. To my eye it is the "sweetest" distro I have yet to see.

I agree Dreamlinux is pretty sweet.