PDA

View Full Version : What's peoples hobbies afkb

david98
November 21st, 2013, 04:33 AM
Hi everyone am just wondering what are people's hobbies away from the keyboard. I like to do a little MMA Muay thai mainly but also like playing football (soccer to all my american friend's). My main hobbies is going to gig's but I don't get to go to too many at the moment as I have a little boy and a girl on the way so I don't get to much free time or cash at the moment.

So what's your main hobbies or what do you lot do to unwind after hours in front of the keyboard.

Ps where's everyone from am from Newcastle North East England home of the world famous beer Newcastle Brown ale or as us Geordies like to call it a bottle of Dog.:)

QIII
November 21st, 2013, 04:36 AM
What do you mean afk? Are you kidding?

:P

t0p
November 21st, 2013, 04:57 AM
I am a photographer, started about 1994. It was all film back then; but I took a break for a few years, returned to the camera and found it had almost all changed to digital. I still own a few film cameras but rarely use them. My 3 most-used cameras are digital, so I guess that doesn't count as an afk hobby?

david98
November 21st, 2013, 05:04 AM
What type of photography you into top nature landscapes building's. I think most if not all photographers are using digital. It's amazing how much technology has changed in the last 10 years. Look at the Wright brothers taking there first flight in 1903 now 110 years later look what man kind has achieved I cant even begin to imagine what sort of technology will be around in another 110 years when all of us are long gone.

Linuxratty
November 21st, 2013, 06:19 PM
I like art,but now do it with the Gimp. I also enjoy gardening,cooking and reading. Since no one around here plays cards, I do play cards with LI friends on Saturdays,which is always fun. Sometimes I also play the hammer dulcimer and mandolin.

Dragonbite
November 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
I used to do fencing (Epee was my preferred weapon)
I an involved in my son's Boy Scout Troop
Keeping up with my 3 kids
I play Dungeons and Dragons (latest game is with 2 of the kids and my wife).
Trying to put together a computer for my brother-in-law and maybe a server or two for myself
Taking care of the horse when my wife isn't able to
Walking/hiking
Maintaining the yard
Cleaning up (or rather, carving a niche) in the basement for comfort room. (would love to make it into a TV/Movie watching room)
Sleeping
Brewing beer (my last batch is a flop)
Laundry
Dishes
Playing "World of Tanks"
playing referee between the kids
trying to get my wife to sneak away from the kids with me ;)
camping
maintaining the fencing around the horse's paddocks
sleeping (preferably on the hammock)
cleaning out my old stuff
programming for myself
eating my wife's cooking
eating the treats my daughter makes, especially when a friend of hers comes over and they take over the kitchen
a little facebook
a little Hulu

CharlesA
November 22nd, 2013, 10:48 PM
Wait, there is stuff to do that doesn't need a computer? I guess if you count Netflix...

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 22nd, 2013, 11:44 PM
Two that I think of right away:

Numismatics (Numismatology) - I have USA coins that date back to the mid 1800's.
Genealogy - I have traced my family back to the mid 1600's. In the 300 to 400 years they migrated from what is now France to Germany and then to the USA.

sandyd
November 23rd, 2013, 04:38 AM
I...

Build and maintain servers
Scan newegg for server parts on sale
Create 3D Animations/Renders
see that the beach is only 10 blocks away, so....
play scrabble with the rest of my scrabble-obsessed house
make websites
play guitar
distract and have fun with bands who are supposed to be doing soundcheck....
watch TV
walk into random tv filming sets and watch the proceedings
skateboard
bike
am on here

llanitedave
November 23rd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Mine is amateur astronomy. I've got a homemade scope and observatory now, and a future goal is to automate it all through a Linux portal.

slpitts
November 24th, 2013, 04:41 AM
I have more hobbies than time and money...
Grandkids
Amateur Radio
Private Pilot
Motorcycles
Jags
and of course mucking about with computers and electronics

john_burns2
November 24th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Main time away from my keyboard is spent playing my Yamaha keyboard, walking my Border Collie,playing darts and golf. :smile::smile:

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 24th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Mine is amateur astronomy. I've got a homemade scope and observatory now, and a future goal is to automate it all through a Linux portal.

That is impressive!!

Dragonbite
November 25th, 2013, 03:04 PM

Awesome!

osmoma
November 25th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mine is gardening (jardinagem, a kitchen garden), growing potatoes, broccoli, fruits, you know.
I have just bought a lot of small trees and bushes; like laranjeiras, tangerineira, nespereira, some uvas tinto/branco, mirtilos, amora preta, ameixeira, groselha, figueira,
kiwi-plant (1 male, 2 females) and framboesa. I have to learn all these words.

Time for planting is in dezembro/janeiro. It's just a hobby ;-)
http://bildr.no/thumb/M2NQMFIr.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/M2NQMFIr)

BTW: Our NSA-proof ;-) audio-recorder for saucy is available and ready. Get it now!
https://launchpad.net/audio-recorder

Dragonbite
November 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Mine is gardening (jardinagem, a kitchen garden), growing potatoes, broccoli, fruits etc.

Man, I am so bad with plants I kill silk flowers!

:lolflag:

llanitedave
November 26th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Mine is gardening (jardinagem, a kitchen garden), growing potatoes, broccoli, fruits, you know.
I have just bought a lot of small trees and bushes; like laranjeiras, tangerineira, nespereira, some uvas tinto/branco, mirtilos, amora preta, ameixeira, groselha, figueira,
kiwi-plant (1 male, 2 females) and framboesa. I have to learn all these words.

Time for planting is in dezembro/janeiro. It's just a hobby ;-)
http://bildr.no/thumb/M2NQMFIr.jpeg (http://bildr.no/view/M2NQMFIr)

BTW: Our NSA-proof ;-) audio-recorder for saucy is available and ready. Get it now!
https://launchpad.net/audio-recorder

That's way cool. There's nothing more fun than eating your own home-grown veggies and fruits!

osmoma
November 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I do agree. And it is relaxing to work with soil, trees and vegetables. Gaining force to hack with Ubuntu/Touch.
I live in a warm part of EU/Europe and have plenty of water in a well.

sdansmith
November 26th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Ilanitedave, I can't wait to see that product!

As for me, I do a lot of writing on the side, both on my blog and for print/ebook. Researching Biblical issues as well periodically.

turgenjev1
November 29th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Sports (soccer, MMA)
reading books

Irihapeti
November 29th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Toastmasters (an organisation for learning how to speak in public). I've been in it for several years now and get a buzz out of helping other people with speeches etc. I get to meet all sorts of people I wouldn't have met otherwise, including some who say, "I've just installed Ubuntu and..."

(oh, wait... that's not afkb... :) )

llanitedave
November 30th, 2013, 03:52 AM
My dad was in Toastmasters! That was like 50 years ago! It was a great organization then. Glad to know people are still enjoying it.

leclerc65
November 30th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Hitting the seventy, I am training myself to live with solitude.

SantaFe
December 3rd, 2013, 02:55 AM
Model Railroading, & Mineral Collecting. ;)

t0p
December 3rd, 2013, 06:07 PM
What type of photography you into top nature landscapes building's. I think most if not all photographers are using digital. It's amazing how much technology has changed in the last 10 years. Look at the Wright brothers taking there first flight in 1903 now 110 years later look what man kind has achieved I cant even begin to imagine what sort of technology will be around in another 110 years when all of us are long gone.

I like doing landscape, buildings, street photography. Also covert pet photography: I have a big, bouncy American bulldog (another pastime) that is my most frequent model; but she hates being photographed, if she sees me so much as point a camera in her direction she glares and growls, so it is a real challenge to get decent shots of her being lively and happy. Sometimes I just hold my smallest camera and take pics without looking at the display. A bit hit-and-miss, produces complete garbage most of the time. It'd be a real money burner if I did this with a film camera so let's say hooray for digital. Hooray!

Incidentally there's still a fair number of photographers using film. I (very rarely) use a film camera, and the photo lab I use will develop the film then scan the negatives/slides and send me a CD instead of prints. Very good quality scans, and I can print the good ones using a computer printer or I can send the negative to the lab to get a nice large print done. So film photography is still alive and kicking. Just not kicking as hard as digital photography!

turkel.christopher
December 4th, 2013, 01:21 AM
I write fantasy/science fantasy.

mjalberts13
December 7th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Series, series and more series.

jcolyn
December 8th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Photography is my passion. Been at it for well over 45+ years.

I still mainly use film gear (see my avatar) which includes Nikon, Leica, and Minolta. I do use digital when needed..

I also work in the photography business..

JRV
December 8th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Old cars - I have a 1946 Lincoln
Old motorcycles - 1974 Ducati 450 single
Electronics - Arduino & RPi GPIO projects

jcolyn
December 8th, 2013, 07:00 PM
1974 Ducati 450 single

I bought this bike new in 74. Wish I still had it but traded it + cash for a 53 Pan.