PDA

View Full Version : Why so focused on Ubuntu w/ Coffee?

Thechromester420
November 20th, 2013, 08:43 PM
I know this is probably a pretty pathetic question, but why is this forum so concerned on coffee (and obviously) and Ubuntu? I mean, Ubuntu itself I understand, but what is up with the coffee references? I like it and all, but what is up with it, haha :). It isn't annoying, I just want to know: "Why coffee?"
I'm sure there is a pretty obvious answer, but I don't know that answer, Im new to Ubuntu all-together.

deadflowr
November 20th, 2013, 09:05 PM
It's for fun.

Somewhere, if you want to dig, Ubuntu-Geek posted about it.

bapoumba
November 20th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Moved to the ... Cafe :D
Tada !

Bashing-om
November 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
cognitive lubricant ?

coffeecat
November 20th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Did someone mention coffee?

MMmmmm... :wink:

PaulW2U
November 20th, 2013, 09:39 PM
I just want to know: "Why coffee?"

Imagine, it's late at night, you can't get something to work and you wondering why you've installed Ubuntu for the 10th time that evening.

What do you do?

Make yet another pot of coffee? :D:D:D

llanitedave
November 20th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I get it, but it just makes me think of Java.

oldos2er
November 21st, 2013, 01:20 AM
Just for fun, really. See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=239560

t0p
November 21st, 2013, 04:10 AM
I don't know the real reason for the coffee thing, but I've always assumed it's to do with hackers (no, not criminals who use computers - that's not what I'm about), the hackers and other software creators who, according to hacker lore, would drink a lot of coffee or Jolt/Zap/Zing/whatever caffeine-loaded beverage so they could stay awake and get their computer doings done.

Dragonbite
November 21st, 2013, 04:03 PM
It attrracted me (I love coffee) and it fit with the original brown theme.

There tends to be a close connection between geeks and coffee, so that's where the theme came from. Yes, we know not everyone likes coffee, but it's just a silly thing.

Oh, I wish Ubuntu would return to some of those fun "why not" silly little things that helped make it stand apart. Actually, I don't think it was necessarily silly but it was a fun and amusing way to lighten the mood back then. That is until Ubuntu turned purple and all corporate. I guess it grew up and I am looking for the Peter Pan syndrome.

Dragonbite
November 21st, 2013, 04:06 PM
I don't know the real reason for the coffee thing, but I've always assumed it's to do with hackers (no, not criminals who use computers - that's not what I'm about), the hackers and other software creators who, according to hacker lore, would drink a lot of coffee or Jolt/Zap/Zing/whatever caffeine-loaded beverage so they could stay awake and get their computer doings done.

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=238731&d=1332514693
Jolt.... mmmmm

Haven't seen that around in a LONG time!

OrangeCrate
November 21st, 2013, 04:42 PM
I think they just chose coffee, because it's critical to life itself, and it is the most popular of the five basic food groups (coffee, Mountain Dew, Hot Pockets, Doritos, and cigarettes).

Dragonbite
November 21st, 2013, 05:14 PM
I think they just choose coffee, because it's critical to life itself, and it is the most popular of the five basic food groups (coffee, Mountain Dew, Hot Pockets, Doritos, and cigarettes).

What? No Ramen Noodle Soup?

QIII
November 21st, 2013, 05:24 PM
Need moar coffee!

Linuxratty
November 21st, 2013, 06:15 PM
It's always been a part of this forum. I was afraid they were going to remove it with the forum upgrade,but lucky for us,it has remained.
The beans add a bit of quirkiness that I find appealing.:)

OrangeCrate
November 21st, 2013, 09:01 PM
What? No Ramen Noodle Soup?

OK, well, six food groups then. I like Ramen.

Thechromester420
November 22nd, 2013, 01:10 AM
Wow, My one (retarded) post apparently lead to a VERY big conversation, Amazing.

Dragonbite
November 22nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Wow, My one (retarded) post apparently lead to a VERY big conversation, Amazing.

Behold the power of ...

Coffee!

BlinkinCat
November 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Behold the power of ...

Coffee!

I prefer mine black.....and you?

Bucky Ball
November 22nd, 2013, 02:46 PM

It is the Cafe! Everyone's on coffee in here and buzzing on caffeine. Talk about anything after a couple of strong ones. ;)

I haven't had a coffee in almost thirty years, I'm over here next to the water cooler just buzzing and talking about anything, but I've always liked the coffee quirkiness of the forum. Makes it somehow more organic and human. Also adds a little social bonding as I imagine 99% of people in here are dosing up on caffeine of some sort.

OrangeCrate
November 22nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
It is the Cafe! Everyone's on coffee in here and buzzing on caffeine. Talk about anything after a couple of strong ones. ;)

I haven't had a coffee in almost thirty years, I'm over here next to the water cooler just buzzing and talking about anything, but I've always liked the coffee quirkiness of the forum. Makes it somehow more organic and human. Also adds a little social bonding as I imagine 99% of people in here are dosing up on caffeine of some sort.

Guilty as charged.

Dragonbite
November 22nd, 2013, 05:14 PM

Ha! Guilty as charged!
I read this just after getting another cup of coffee from the office kitchen!

I like mine black and sweet.

I have to laugh at my Boy Scout troop. The scouts were trying to find some material or food in the kitchen containers and instead they pulled out 1, 2, 3, 4 large containers of coffee! That's when I realized THIS is the troop for ME!

EDIT: Just realized the relevancy of my avatar to this thread ;)

PaulW2U
November 22nd, 2013, 05:30 PM

One of the Ubuntu Forums mysteries.

Some threads will die after a few posts while others will go on and on and on ....... :D

Bucky Ball
November 22nd, 2013, 05:40 PM
One of the Ubuntu Forums mysteries.

Some threads will die after a few posts while others will go on and on and on ....... :D

Ha. True. I think it's the ones that no-one can answer or knows much about that fade quickly and the ones that everyone knows something about (or has an opinion on) have a life of their own. Just about everybody here knows a lot about coffee so this one could be around for awhile. ! =P~

Bashing-om
November 22nd, 2013, 06:03 PM
Going back now for my last cup of cognitive fluid before jumping into the odysey of the day !

Jump

oldos2er
November 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM

Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.

CharlesA
November 22nd, 2013, 10:46 PM
But I drink tea! :p

craig10x
November 23rd, 2013, 03:02 AM

With milk and sweet n' low :D

I have 2 mugs every morning...

Buntu Bunny
November 23rd, 2013, 03:32 AM

Percolated or French pressed with creamy raw goat milk and unbleached sugar. Yum.

Bashing-om
November 23rd, 2013, 04:28 AM

OH Kay ! A matter of extremes .. I do mine Hot Black and Nasty !

QIII
November 23rd, 2013, 04:29 AM
Intravenous!

bapoumba
November 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.
Nothing to add, count me in.

Elfy
November 23rd, 2013, 04:14 PM

Creep :p

PaulW2U
November 23rd, 2013, 04:29 PM

Indian, Green or Earl Grey? ;)

CharlesA
November 23rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Indian, Green or Earl Grey? ;)

Earl Grey, obviously. ;)

bapoumba
November 23rd, 2013, 06:47 PM
I should add that I do drink tea too. I have a series of cast iron tea pots (kinda Japanese wannabes).

See my coffee maker below, as important as the coffee itself.

Bashing-om
November 23rd, 2013, 07:58 PM
I should add that I do drink tea too. I have a series of cast iron tea pots (kinda Japanese wannabes).

See my coffee maker below, as important as the coffee itself.

Most impressive - great coffee ! But, like ubuntu, - any coffee is better than no coffee !

Elfy
November 23rd, 2013, 11:32 PM
at least no-one's mentioned kopi luwak yet

Irihapeti
November 24th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Yes, they have, Elfy........

You just did! :lol:

QIII
November 24th, 2013, 05:31 AM
An enterprising young man had an inspiration and attempted to try to develop a version of kopi luwak using elephants. Unfortunate fellow was trampled to death trying to recover the processed coffee beans.

Elfy
November 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM
An enterprising young man had an inspiration and attempted to try to develop a version of kopi luwak using elephants. Unfortunate fellow was trampled to death trying to recover the processed coffee beans.

Lesson for the young learnt - quality over quantity everytime :p

PJs Ronin
November 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I used to have NATO, but I've cut back to one sugar.

Dragonbite
November 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Had a Frech Press coffee one time and it was goood. Unfortunately it was a friend that made it and she knows what she is doing ...

bapoumba
November 25th, 2013, 08:01 PM
http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/gianluca-biscalchin-literary-coffee-poster

King Dude
November 25th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I've wondered this myself for the longest time. I guess you're not supposed to question the logic. Ubuntu=Good, Coffee=Good, so Ubuntu=Coffee

Thechromester420
November 25th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I've wondered this myself for the longest time. I guess you're not supposed to question the logic. Ubuntu=Good, Coffee=Good, so Ubuntu=Coffee
I guess that makes sense.

bapoumba
November 25th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Do not forget the brownish themes from the early days :)

OrangeCrate
November 26th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Do not forget the brownish themes from the early days :)

She was the love of my life,

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/release510

until this cutie-pie came along,

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dapperrc

and on and on it went...

SantaFe
November 26th, 2013, 02:15 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=238731&d=1332514693
Jolt.... mmmmm

Haven't seen that around in a LONG time!

I always preferred Nitro myself! ;)

SantaFe
November 26th, 2013, 02:22 PM
It's a shame really, I'm allergic to coffee for some reason. Doc thought it might be the caffeine, but nope, tested negative for caffeine allergy.

Hmmm...... no wonder I get hives after visiting the forums here! ;)

sdansmith
November 26th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Wait, you wait until late at night for coffee? I'm drinking two cups now!

Dragonbite
November 26th, 2013, 03:32 PM
It's a shame really, I'm allergic to coffee for some reason. Doc thought it might be the caffeine, but nope, tested negative for caffeine allergy.

Hmmm...... no wonder I get hives after visiting the forums here! ;)

Wow! Now THAT sucks!

Wait, you wait until late at night for coffee? I'm drinking two cups now!

Heck, I have a coffee IV drip between 8 and 4 (it's not easy to keep it attached when driving to and from work) ;)

thatredbird
November 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Imagine, it's late at night, you can't get something to work and you wondering why you've installed Ubuntu for the 10th time that evening.

What do you do?

ausome....reminds me of two days ago...

Bucky Ball
November 26th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I'm drinking two cups now!

Both at the same time? One in each hand and alternating? :-k ;)

OrangeCrate
November 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM

What do you do?

That's funny. I go off on a jag occasionally, and try a bazillion distros over the course of a couple of days. My wife thinks I have OCD.

sdansmith
November 26th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Both at the same time? One in each hand and alternating? :-k ;)

I alternate. One is a stronger, more bitter blend. I can only handle it in small amounts.

Bucky Ball
November 26th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I only drink Roobios tea, which has no caffeine in it, but I think I'm getting a contact high which is why I don't unsubscribe from the thread!

Habitual
November 26th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Moved to the ... Cafe :D
Tada !
Oh, the Irony of it.

oldos2er
November 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM
That's funny. I go off on a jag occasionally, and try a bazillion distros over the course of a couple of days. My wife thinks I have OCD.

Over Caffeinated Disorder? Obsessive Coffee Disease?

theller
November 26th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Love Coffee, Hate Java!

After reading many of these (and Laughing) I am going to make another cup.

bapoumba
November 26th, 2013, 09:41 PM
She was the love of my life,

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/release510

until this cutie-pie came along,

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dapperrc

and on and on it went...

I have to admit Hoary is my all times favorite. No graphics mode with Warty, then bam, the drivers worked with Hoary that I installed as soon as I could. First love :)

OrangeCrate
November 28th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Deleted