PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Preload??

newb85
November 20th, 2013, 05:24 AM
I recently installed preload from the universe in hopes that it would be beneficial, and thus far, I've been disappointed. The reason I installed it (and the reason I found it) is because I was hoping to boost speed in very narrow confines - whenever I open Chrome or LibreOffice for the first time after rebooting. Yes, I know that after these apps load the first time they're cached and load much faster. I want the first time to be just as fast.

Questions:
Does preload need to gather statistics for a while (how long) before it starts...well...preloading?
How long (roughly speaking) will the machine need to sit idle before preload preloads? (I gather this happens when the computer is idle, but I could be wrong there...)

Thanks!

Bucky Ball
November 20th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Does preload need to gather statistics for a while (how long) before it starts...well...preloading?

Yes. Don't know for how long.

How long (roughly speaking) will the machine need to sit idle before preload preloads? (I gather this happens when the computer is idle, but I could be wrong there...)

Sitting idle would show preload nothing. It needs to observe your computing habits for awhile, i.e. what programs you use most often, what your habits are. You need to be using the thing. Preload loads stuff at boot or restart as far as I know, not during a session.

newb85
November 20th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Sitting idle would show preload nothing. It needs to observe your computing habits for awhile, i.e. what programs you use most often, what your habits are. You need to be using the thing. Preload loads stuff at boot or restart as far as I know, not during a session.

Yes, I understand that. But I think I read somewhere that preload actually does its preloading when the computer is idle. (Once enough statistics have been collected, that is.)