PDA

View Full Version : Update key-bindings in Nautilus

reef2dive
November 20th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Does anyone know how the key-bindings in Nautilius and Gnome 3.x can be update / set.
<SHIFT DEL> works, while I need <CTRL DEL>
I can find documentation referring to Nautilus on Gnome 2 and it the setting is not available in dconf / apps / nautilus.

BrunoLotse
November 20th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Hi:) When I have to change(add,modify,remove) key-bindings in Nautilus first I would execute
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface can-change-accels trueThen I would run Nautilus, open window with existing key-binding and enter a new one. The old one would be gone and a new would be instead. Then I would lock keybindings
gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.interface can-change-accelsCheers,Bruno

cjhoward
November 26th, 2013, 07:41 PM
"Then I would run Nautilus, open window with existing key-binding and enter a new one."

I don't fully understand this part. Where are key bindings configured in/for Nautilus? I was unable to successfully change and apply ~/.config/nautilus/accels after ticking the "can-change-accels" dconf option. From the looks of the file header, it's only a dump (not an rc) anyway.

EDIT: Running Ubuntu 13.10 and Nautilus 3.8.2

mc4man
November 26th, 2013, 08:29 PM
"Then I would run Nautilus, open window with existing key-binding and enter a new one."

I don't fully understand this part. Where are key bindings configured in/for Nautilus? I was unable to successfully change and apply ~/.config/nautilus/accels after ticking the "can-change-accels" dconf option. From the looks of the file header, it's only a dump (not an rc) anyway.

EDIT: Running Ubuntu 13.10 and Nautilus 3.8.2
You can use that file (~/.config/nautilus/accels), just that any changes & or additions cannot have ; at start of line.
So for example the op's -
edit
; (gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/DirViewActions/Delete" "<Shift>Delete")
to
(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/DirViewActions/Delete" "<Primary>Delete")

(then kill & restart nautilus
Or in the above case the orig could be left & a new added, in that case both would work

BrunoLotse
November 27th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hi:)I do not have accels file in ~/.config/nautilus. Yet I am able to change keybindings using gsetting command. When can-change-accels is set to true I am running Nautilus, open menu item, say Alt-F , and hover cursor over item I want to change. When it's highlighted I enter new key shortcut. It shows up immediately. Then - reset can-change-accels. That's all:) Nautilus --version 3.4.2Cheers,Bruno

BrunoLotse
November 27th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Gee!!! I've found it:) On my system file with bindings
~/.gnome2/accels/nautilus Thank you mc4man for inspiration:)Cheers,Bruno

cjhoward
November 27th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Still can't get the key bindings to remap. After ticking the dconf 'can-change-accels' option, I tried changing these two lines (with and without leading semi-colons):

~/.config/nautilus/accels
(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ShellActions/TabsNext" "<Primary>]"
(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ShellActions/TabsPrevious" "<Primary>["

Save, then...

nautilus -q
Start file explorer from unity launcher. Original key bindings remain.

mc4man
November 27th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Still can't get the key bindings to remap. After ticking the dconf 'can-change-accels' option, I tried changing these two lines (with and without leading semi-colons):

~/.config/nautilus/accels
(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ShellActions/TabsNext" "<Primary>]"
(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ShellActions/TabsPrevious" "<Primary>["

Save, then...

nautilus -q
Start file explorer from unity launcher. Original key bindings remain.
You can't use certain keys directly, you must use name, ex. / = slash, \ = backslash, [ = bracketleft, ] = bracketright
So one of yours -

(gtk_accel_path "<Actions>/ShellActions/TabsNext" "<Primary>bracketright")

Note - The dconf option is meaningless in regards to editing the accels file

Edit: remember NO leading semi-colon, just as above

cjhoward
November 27th, 2013, 10:25 PM
That worked! Thank you!