PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen freezing all the time

AmpersUK
November 19th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I have a problem with my screen freezing all the time and I have taken a lot of trouble trying to isolate the problem.

Here's what I have done and my surmising from the effort.

1. I loaded Windows 7 as a dual boot.

Result: Everything worked fine. I installed about ten programs, everything went without freezing and I could use the computer immediately after boot up.

Conclusion: The hardware, although may not be compatible with Ubuntu, was certainly in full working order using Windows.

2. Loaded Ubuntu 12.04.

Result: Immediately after bootup the machine refused to work for a few minutes. Then it froze for a few minutes every few minutes so a job that might take ten minutes would take 20-25 minutes.

Conclusion: There may be a hardware problem between my computer and Ubuntu 12.04

3. Loaded Ubuntu 13.10.

Result: Immediately after bootup the machine refused to work for a few minutes. Then it froze for a few minutes every few minutes so a job that might take ten minutes would take 20-25 minutes.

Conclusion: There may be a hardware problem between my computer and Ubuntu 13.10

4. The same disk of 13.10 was loaded onto my wife's desktop as a new clean installation.

Result: Immediately after bootup her machine worked perfectly without any problems.

Conclusion: The disk with 13.10 on was not damaged.

The computer I am having a problem with is my Notebook which I use instead of a desktop. It is a 17" Samsung RF711 with 8GB RAM, 2 x 1GB hard drive.

I have used Ubuntu on this machine for over a year now without problems. The above only reared its ugly head a month ago.

jellybaby
November 19th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Did you try booting in recovery mode? There's a menu entry in the boot menu, just under "Ubuntu"; it is called "advanced options" or "extended options". If you select that, you can choose to boot in recovery mode. Maybe the option "repair broken packages" might help. Good luck!

VMC
November 20th, 2013, 06:01 PM
It appears you have "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M w/ NVIDIA Optimus", for your video. Are you using nouveau or nvidia drivers?
If unsure, from a terminal type 'lsmod|grep nouveau'