PDA

View Full Version : perl regex - why non-capturing groups?

Lars Noodén
November 19th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I have two questions about the perl snippet below which prints out two lines.

CL/NZ
US/AU/JP/MX

#!/usr/bin/perl

my $txt="[CL/NZ propose; US/AU/JP/MX oppose: 2. Nothing in this Chapter ...";

print "$_\n" for @match
= $txt =~
m/(?:(?:AU|BN|CA|CL|JP|MX|MY|NZ|PE|SG|US|VN)\/)+
(?:AU|BN|CA|CL|JP|MX|MY|NZ|PE|SG|US|VN)/gx;

1) I understand the alternation and groupings, but why is the non-capturing (?:) needed for the groups?

2) How would the for @match = $txt =~ m//gx be grouped for readability with parenthesis or braces?

trent.josephsen
November 20th, 2013, 04:07 AM
1) In list context, the /g modifier causes the pattern to return a list of all matches found. If the match has capturing subpatterns, each match will return a list and the result will be flattened, like this:

("12:foo, 42:bar;4:baz" =~ /(\d+):(\w*)/g) # => qw(12 foo 42 bar 4 baz)

The person who wrote that pattern didn't want that behavior, so he used only non-capturing groups so as to get the default behavior of capturing each match in its entirety. Apart from that, it's not a bad idea to use them all the time and only switch to capturing expressions when you really want to capture something; it saves counting parens to figure out which of $1, $2, $3, ... to use and it saves Perl the trouble of trying to store them somewhere.

As for 2) IMO there's no good way to split it as-is. I'd probably abstract out the common alternation:

$cc = 'AU|BN|CA|CL|JP|MX|MY|NZ|PE|SG|US|VN'; # "country code"
print "$_\n" for ($txt =~ m/(?:(?:$cc)\/)+(?:$cc)/gx);
Also notice that for/foreach provides array context, so there's no need to assign to @match unless you use @match for something else. But if this was more than a one-off (I saw it on Slashdot earlier, so I'm assuming not) I'd write it less concisely.

Lars Noodén
November 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Thanks. That's where I saw it, too. I tend to write code more clearly, but perhaps even the original concise line was clear to that author at the time. It was probably re-worked for publication. I've seen map() used in a similar manner so I was also wondering if it was a new convention.

The non-capturing and compact syntax were new to me. The non-capturing basically (almost) does this:

m/((?:(?:AU|BN|CA|CL|JP|MX|MY|NZ|PE|SG|US|VN)\/)+
(?:AU|BN|CA|CL|JP|MX|MY|NZ|PE|SG|US|VN))/gx;