PDA

View Full Version : Grub Rescue?

frank18
November 18th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Hi guys:i have run into a problem with my Xubuntu12.04! the other day
when i started up the PC,a Dell pentium4 with Xubuntu installed only OPS,
i Had a black blank screen on boot with< Grub Rescue > tried to use the CD to boot no avail then i tried to reinstall Xubuntu No Avail,then since i keep many CDs different Distros around i tried Linux Mint 14 Nadia i struggled a little bit at first but at second try it booted up then it installed smoothly,
today i was inquiring about this Grub Rescue problem and came across this Blog about the solution,since i did not try it and don't know if it works ,I'd like your opinion on this for a future problem of this arising in the future!

http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2008/01...the-grub-menu/ (http://xubuntu.wordpress.com/2008/01/25/howto-fixing-grub-after-a-windows-installation-and-fixing-the-grub-menu/)

grahammechanical
November 18th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Some of the information in that link is out of date. Ubuntu and the flavours of Ubuntu do not use menu.lst. We have moved on from what is now called Grub legacy to Grub 2.0 and it has a different way of setting up the Grub configuration files. We get the Grub rescue prompt when Grub cannot find the necessary files or when the configuration written in the files does not match what is on the hard disk.

What was the problem with re-installing Xubuntu? Have you tried using Recovery mode from the Grub menu? Have you tried booting one of the earlier kernels that are available from the Grub menu?

Regards.

frank18
November 18th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Some of the information in that link is out of date. Ubuntu and the flavours of Ubuntu do not use menu.lst. We have moved on from what is now called Grub legacy to Grub 2.0 and it has a different way of setting up the Grub configuration files. We get the Grub rescue prompt when Grub cannot find the necessary files or when the configuration written in the files does not match what is on the hard disk.

What was the problem with re-installing Xubuntu? Have you tried using Recovery mode from the Grub menu? Have you tried booting one of the earlier kernels that are available from the Grub menu?

Regards.

thank bro for your help: there is no recovery if the cd never booted up i put cd in the drive changed the boot drive it wouldn't even boot at all kept stalling like an old music scratched record, then after some minutes of trying i gave up and put there a Mint 14 Nadia cd and at first try kinda had only half graffics but i rebooted again and this time it booted up and installed great.
I also run Xubuntu 12.04 on my other Pemtium M desktop and it never did that, maybe it has to with the graffics,