PDA

View Full Version : [lxde] Aesthetic changes to Lubuntu

nLpPyXR
November 15th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Let me start by saying I'm still very new to Linux in general and Lubuntu 13.10 is my first full-time non-M$ OS. Speaking of M$, back when I was still running Win XP I had the Emerge Desktop Shell which provided some rather neat features such as replacing/relocating the start menu to a right-click on the desktop area, a clock widget/docklet/whatever you wanna call it that also doubled as a command line, and another little widget/docklet/whatever that acted as a notification area replacement.

So... is there an easy way to imitate such a configuration in Lubuntu? I'm talking about replacing LXPanel (I think that's what the "taskbar" is called in Lubuntu anyway) entirely, so that you get the "start button" menu by right-clicking on the desktop, and possibly using a nice Dock to do the rest of the stuff (clock, easy terminal access, notification area etc. etc.)

papibe
November 15th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Hi nLpPyXR.

I can't help you with the details, but here a couple of good sort of information:

Screenshots and details of highly customized desktops (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2185150&highlight=november+screenshot).
How to use conky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771033&highlight=conky).

I hope that points you in the right direction.
Regards.

ajgreeny
November 15th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Let me start by saying I'm still very new to Linux in general and Lubuntu 13.10 is my first full-time non-M$ OS. Speaking of M$, back when I was still running Win XP I had the Emerge Desktop Shell which provided some rather neat features such as replacing/relocating the start menu to a right-click on the desktop area, a clock widget/docklet/whatever you wanna call it that also doubled as a command line, and another little widget/docklet/whatever that acted as a notification area replacement.

So... is there an easy way to imitate such a configuration in Lubuntu? I'm talking about replacing LXPanel (I think that's what the "taskbar" is called in Lubuntu anyway) entirely, so that you get the "start button" menu by right-clicking on the desktop, and possibly using a nice Dock to do the rest of the stuff (clock, easy terminal access, notification area etc. etc.)

Not sure about doing it in Lubuntu, but you certainly can in Xubuntu.

With its xfce4 desktop it has a dock (panel) at the bottom as default, and gives you a menu with a right click also by default, but it is also very configurable so you can move all the different parts of the desktop to wherever you want them quickly and easily.

nLpPyXR
November 24th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Installing a dock is no problem at all, I started this topic as more of a "how to remove/disable LXPanel altogether?" and "is it safe to do it?"

Though I might try Xubuntu if it has a dock and the "right-click-startmenu" by default.