PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing 12.04.3 on a Acer Aspire V5-131-2629

SmallWorld
November 15th, 2013, 04:17 PM
The short of it:
The default 12.04.3 64bit DE install works good with a few tweaks. I haven't tested Bluetooth or external monitors yet.

The long of it:
Following is the process I used.

This laptop comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, even though we're well into the Windows 8 era. Bless your hearts, Asus.
The 500GB hard drive comes with three partitions:
- sda1 (ntfs) 19.3GB - the Windows7 recovery partition.
- sda2 (ntfs) 104.9MB - the Windows7 loader
- sda3 (ntfs) 480.7GB - the Windows7 "C:" drive
I left the hard drive in this configuration (no editing of the parition table) prior to installing Ubuntu.

The firmware (BIOS) is UEFI, specifically InsydeH20. This means the install-from-Windows (Wubi) installer won't work. Also, this UEFI does not support booting from a SD card. You must boot and install from a USB device.

I put the 64bit Desktop Edition 12.04.3 installer onto a USB drive and set the laptop's UEFI to boot from the USB.
Upon booting from the USB I chose the option to Install Ubuntu directly.
I chose to install Updates and 3rd Party Software during the OS install.
I was able to connect to wifi from within the installer program without any issues, although the wifi connection interface was a little laggy.
I chose to "Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7".
The next step was to use the poorly-labeled drive space divider. This allows you to shrink the sda3 partition (on the left side of the visual divider), making room for Ubuntu (on the right side of the visual divider). I made the left side of the divider 100GB.
I let the installer do its thing. I chose to encrypt my home folder.
When finished, I restarted.

GRUB and then Ubuntu booted up without any hitches.
The Additional Drivers control indicated that "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system." Sweet.

GRUB needs to be modified to get the keypad brightness buttons to work:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grubChange the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="
Then:
sudo update-grubThen restart.

After a while, the wifi just stopped working, and apparently this is common. A number of forum pages reveal the permanent fix:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.confType in the following:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1Save and close this file, then:
sudo modprobe -rfv ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k

The touchpad is a buttonless model, so it's a PITA to right-click on anything. I'm considering installing Synaptiks to be able to use a two-fingered tap as a right-click but just can't swallow that Synaptiks needs 300MB to install.

The system now runs like a champ. Wifi works, full-screen Youtube videos play smoothly, speakers work, headphones work, and Windows7 still boots up and runs as good as it ever did. I haven't tested Bluetooth or external monitors yet. I use Gnome with No Effects, so can't speak for the performance of the Unity or Compiz.

wn1ytw
February 2nd, 2014, 09:07 PM
The firmware (BIOS) is UEFI, specifically InsydeH20. This means the install-from-Windows (Wubi) installer won't work. Also, this UEFI does not support booting from a SD card. You must boot and install from a USB device.

I put the 64bit Desktop Edition 12.04.3 installer onto a USB drive and set the laptop's UEFI to boot from the USB

I wonder exactly which file, and from where, you put on the USB and did you use something like uunetbootin?
(sorry to be such a noob, I've just gotten confused and wary after so much reading on how to install!) I will be trying this on that laptop in a few days :)

I will use this if I see nothing better: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu

scott

SmallWorld
February 5th, 2014, 04:31 PM
If you're still after an answer, I did indeed just follow the instructions on the Ubuntu.com site to create a bootable USB stick.  I used the Acer to create the USB stick, by booting into Windows when I first received the Acer and I followed the instructions at http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows .

wn1ytw
February 7th, 2014, 01:39 AM
I did the USB drive thing when I posted -quick and easy, thanks. feeling comfy with booting and changing the UEFI boot order took me some time, mostly in getting the courage to plug the stick into the new laptop! Unsaid, and I did not find a step by step of changing the boot order, it was not hard -

just plug the drive in -
F2 at boot to enter UEFI, and
made a change to the order of devices and a choice appeared that was not there for my USB Kensington stick!
I moved that up and exit saved.
When I booted it booted to Ubuntu.

Waiting for some new disks to get here before making a set of the factory recovery to install. It worked nicely 'Live' though, thanks - I was nervous with the UEFI.

wn1ytw
February 24th, 2014, 07:39 PM
never mind

wn1ytw
February 24th, 2014, 09:55 PM
The only hiccup I had was that the windows partition needed to be shrunk before booting to the USB stick else only 2 options appeared: the install over windows and something else. To get the alongside option I needed to have free space available, and as I shrunk sda 3 by 100Gb, that negated the sizing tool in Ubuntu's install.

Thanks for showing me the way! I now have a dual boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS LAPTOP.

mthos
April 26th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Hi,

I recently installed Ubuntu on my v5-131. I didn't encounter any problems with either 13.10 nor 14.04. However: I can't get the sd card reader to work.

Anyone got a solution for me?

mthos
April 27th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Here's some more info:

The sd-card reader in question is: Broadcom Corporation BCM57765/57785

I allready found this diskussion: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2178199
which states, that this patch would help: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel-next/+/fd1acc54a6b3db4e6503ccc4a9349f28b436031a

... so can anyone point me to the direction of a guide on how to apply this patch?

ps. also by "didn't encounter any problems" I mean wifi doesn't work properly since 14.04 (no problems with 13.10)