PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] please step by step using terminal for Desktops removal

fatharraxman
November 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM
when open my Laptop at the greeting level I have these Desktops environments:
GNOME/Openbox
LX Games
LXDE
Lubuntu
Lubuntu Netbook
Lubuntu Nexus7 session
Lubuntu Qt session
etc
I want to remove them all, leaving only Default desktop environment, I tried and tried using terminal where it tells me it is removed but reboot to face them again stick there like a virus lol.

Bucky Ball
November 13th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Thread moved to Desktop Environments.

Try removing them via Synaptics or Software Centre. I know this will work for lxde. You'll have to search for the others.

Dennis N
November 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Which one is the default? This is an alphabetical list.

Easier said than done, at least in some cases here. For example, most if not all Lubuntu-specific packages come from installing lubuntu-desktop package. Removing lubuntu-desktop doesn't remove Lubuntu or any of its components, since lubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage.

Some packages of lubuntu-desktop can be removed individually, of course. But others may be used by other desktops or are dependencies of other applications you want to keep and can't be removed.

steeldriver
November 13th, 2013, 05:49 PM
If you're not running out of disk space and simply want to prevent the alternate desktops from being listed by the session chooser, you could just rename the .desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions/ e.g.

sudo mv /usr/share/xsessions/LXDE.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/LXDE.desktop.ignore

This will likely be safer than trying to remove the desktop metapackages themselves

fatharraxman
November 13th, 2013, 06:18 PM
If you're not running out of disk space and simply want to prevent the alternate desktops from being listed by the session chooser, you could just rename the .desktop files in /usr/share/xsessions/ e.g.

sudo mv /usr/share/xsessions/LXDE.desktop /usr/share/xsessions/LXDE.desktop.ignore

This will likely be safer than trying to remove the desktop metapackages themselves

Yup this surprisingly hided lxde but the others still there besides, the synaptic is not launching
Thank you guys