PDA

View Full Version : Best things about Linux?

Boomy
July 19th, 2006, 05:34 AM
What are some of the best things to you about Ubuntu or Linux in general.

I was in the store the other day looking at computer crap and there was a guy buying some Norton Antivirus. I almost started laughing. Sucker! :mrgreen:

Dr. Nick
July 19th, 2006, 05:45 AM
The fact that I can use almost all my software without having to enter a serial number / cdkey every time I install 8)

And I feel safe venturing into the unknown parts of the internet without a virus or browser hijack, I know im not invulnerable but still feel much safer.

Also I dont know of any malicious programs made for linux that promise to fix things, yet make them worse, like a few "security programs" in windows which are actually backdoors etc..

henriquemaia
July 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM
One thing that really marvells me:

You can put linux everywhere, from the smallest computer in the world (http://www.picotux.com/).

http://www.picotux.com/pt112x.jpg

to the big, big, big clusters.

The Noble
July 19th, 2006, 05:59 AM
It is free, highly modifiable, and has an amazing community. I can spend hours searching forums, learning about computers, and have total freedom doing it. :)

RAV TUX
July 19th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Ubuntu

Skia_42
July 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM
The Community, when I visit the forums looking for information you will always be warmly embraced and helped. I also love the security and dependibility of linux.

jnev
July 19th, 2006, 06:36 AM
its power, flexibility, and stablity.

Derek Djons
July 19th, 2006, 09:54 AM
That every GNU/Linux distribution and GNU/Linux itself are open-source. I find it the best method building software. By sharing, building together and giving everybody the option to see, wactch, modify and learn we're all benfiting.

asimon
July 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM
The best thing about Ubuntu (and it's siblings) is in my eyes it's helpful and friendly community and the fact that Ubuntu seems to bring a lot of new people to the world of free software.

The best thing about Linux is it's license which (among other things) made it all possible.

zAo
July 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I think the license is great.
I also like the way apt works: just update/upgrade every single file on the system! No uninstall-reboot-install-reboot anymore.
I also like the power you get: you want to remove this? ok, done.

And we can get as much eye-candy as we like: modify everything you want!

3rdalbum
July 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
1. It is free
2. Apt and Synaptic - honestly, Windows and Mac users don't know what they're missing.
3. Internet safety
4. Software installs quickly, in the background, without asking questions, and without calling home and doing serial number verification. That always gives me the creeps.
5. You can swap in and out lots of parts of the system. Just try installing a lighter desktop environment on Windows. (When KDE is ported to Windows, it will be a big hit, even if just for the novelty).
6. I can influence the next version of Ubuntu. I can report bugs, request features, and if I write a good enough piece of software it might be included in Edgy!

These are not included in order.

guine
July 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Tux. A penguin is a much cooler mascot than a silly wavy window that if it was installed in an average house would leave security holes or have to be patched up a lot.

G Morgan
July 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
1. Unix mentality of tools not policy
2. The development model is sound and secure