PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen with a beamer

d.adragna
November 11th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Hello, I've a problem with my screen presentation over beamer. I'm using a netbook with ubuntu 13.10. The thing is this: when I plug in the beamer over VGA the beamer is showing me the screen how it look on my notebook. So far so good. Then when I open a folder or any oder application it doesnt show me on the beamer but on the screen and the mouse is on the beamer but not on the screen. Any easy solutions? I'm holding a several lectures and I need a solution pritty soon - Thank you

germanix
November 11th, 2013, 09:03 PM
When you use a beamer, you effectively have two monitors. You need to go to "System Settings" then to "Displays". Here you should see both monitors. Here you can play with the settings. You can decide to show both monitors or only the "beamer monitor" if you so choose. You can also decide if both or only one of the monitors has the launcher. You can also "mirror" both displays by ticking the box. This may limit the resolution but mostly this will not be a problem as the beamers mostly have lower resolutions anyway. You can also click on the monitor and move it to the left or right of the beamer and you can then move the mouse pointer from the one screen to the other by simply moving the mouse over in the direction of where you placed it before. I would also suggest switching off the laptop monitor in that same display window, then everything will move to the beamer screen anyway. Just play with the settings and you will find what works best for your set-up.
Ubuntu 13.10 and also 12.04 are not very good with setting up two monitors. I found it to be much easier with Kubuntu. You have more settings there and it is easy to set-up.
I also run 13.10 with two monitors and when I close the laptop lid the external monitor goes black. I then have to do a left click with the mouse to start it up again! In Kubuntu this does not happen. It just works! I am nor realy a KDE fan, but Kubuntu realy rocks.
Hope this helps.